The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rearend question

Redwood

so i have been looking for this for a bit but could never come up with a real answer on, what the lenght of a vr4 rearend is compared to a 2g.

and what is the rearend in a galant, is it the lsd 3 or something else. i no that the one in the 2g is an lsd 4 but wasnt sure on whether or not that it would fit into my car. i have seen alot of people say that they have destoryed a lsd 3 with not very much power so i kinda would like to put a stronger one in my car seens how my goal is to be around 450ish hp.

thought conserns greatly appreciated

DynastyLCD

2g rear diffs will not work, period. the axles are different, and the mounting points are entirely different as well.

you most likely have a "3-bolt" rear end. you can tell its a 3-bolt, because there are 3 bolts holding the axle to the hub.

a good upgrade, is a 4-bolt LSD rear end from a 1g DSM. make sure you get the diff, the axles, and the axle cups that go on the hub, and you will be good to go!

citymunky

Also not all 3 bolts are LSD's. The stock 3 bolt rear diff with the 4WS gear is a open diff. 3 bolt diff's from early DSM's are LSD's. I have a 3 bolt LSD with a "B1G" on the decal.

JNR

be aware also that automatics had different gear ratios than manuals (and I'd bet there is some other variances between DSM/VR-4, etc.) with that regard...Just make sure you either swap your gears or get the correct one to match the front, or else you'll be shopping for a T/C soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned