The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear shock mount help

im puttin in new shocks and im stuck on the rear,the mount where it bolts up to has like a metal sleeve does that sleeve come off cuz the new shocks cant go over the existing sleeve, and it rusted around the area, has anyone had any similer problems?

turbowop

That sleeve is usually inside the lower bushing of the shock. A lot of times they get stuck on there and if you pull the shock off hard enough, it'll leave the sleeve. You might have to carefully cut if off.

raptorWagon

some pb blaster might help as well as tapping around it with a Mallet and flathead, but don't pry with flat head, just tap around to knock it loose.

turbowop

I think he has the shock off but the sleeve is still stuck on the mount. Wouldn't really be able to tap it off at that point.

raptorWagon

ah yeah he does, I had to reread it. Still try soaking it in PB blaster for maybe an hour or so.
Like wop said, be careful getting that sleeve off whatever way you try, that's not a component you want to destroy.

yeah the shock is off i had to cut it off along with the rubber bushing,and yeah its that little pesky sleeve inside of there, ill get some pb blaster today and try hammering it, if that dont work i guess ill try using a little cutting wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks guys for all the help ill let you know how it goes

MitchooO

i used a cut off wheel to just make a cut strait down the center and twisted it with my gigantic channel locks...

Spray it with a crapload of wd40 or pb blaster. Let it soak and then use a pipe wrench to work it free.

You may need to heat it up with a torch.

When you get it off, clean the area where the new part slides on with a metal wire brush and put some graphite on it so the new shock doesn't rust on again.

bazeng

I had this issue.

I used a fork which was very very tight to the chassis shaft. Anything loose, it would just spread and slide over the suspension sleeve.

The fork got it off with a big hammer!

The 2nd set I installed, I used copper grease to prevent it happening in the future.
Luckily with the suspension bush (hotbis), I had the bush pressed and replaced by hotbits for about 20 dollars AUD.

finally got them done! i sprayed a crap load of pb and cut a little around it, then used an air impact hammer and it came right off, thanks for everything guys!it really helped alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts