The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear seal blown?

holeshotmoe

Is this a crank seal leak? Clutch was starting to slip under heavy load. Just pulled the trans tonight. Here's a few pics...
Good bit of oily substance under the flywheel

Flywheel with some nice cracks. Can these be milled out?

Pressure plate and disk had a film of grease/oil on the inner half edge

Bell housing had a buildup around it's circumference and settling at the bottom

Brunoboy

I would say replace the RMS, your already there

Yea, thats the only logical thing that would leak into the trans casing like that.

The flywheel cracks dont look horrible from what i can see, but I cant tell you for sure. I would just take it in somewhere and have them measure it for you and see what they think.

The PP looks like it might be toast too if those are heat spots.

Barnes

Could also be his t-case output shaft seal. Although I don't know how you could tell the difference between the two. However if I had to guess, I'd say the rear main seal is toast.

yea, i guess i was assuming we knew it was oil. Gear oil from the T-case will probably smell pretty strong so you can try to take a wiff and see if it seems more like gear oil or engine oil.... but either way your so close i would just replace it if there is any doubt.

nickbuilt

since you have it off change the rear main seal but that oil looks like its coming from the transfer case shaft seal which is a common leak on these cars while you have the tranny off change that seal also. its only like 6 bucks at a local parts place it looks like a front main seal but much smaller i made this mistake in not changing this seal once and had to do the job twice because of a 6 dollar seal so learn from my mistakes change the seal!!!

-nick

^ +1

After the amount of work it is to get a tranny out, i would spend the money on both seals and just be done with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned