The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My "clutch" keeps slipping, what am I missing?

Is the clutch fine when you first begin driving in the morning then get progressively worse?

How much clevis pin free play do you have?

14u2nV

Is it possible the flywheel has been resurfaced too many times or too much was taken off, and now that extra little missing material won't let the clutch hold tight?

Something else I thought of. All of your calipers are from other cars right. Are you SURE the pressure to each is right? Maybe your front/rear is off and not releasing completely, putting a heavy strain on the drive, making it slip?? Have you checked to make sure none of the wheels are dragging on the calipers or bigger rotors? Could more rotational mass be making it slip?

That's all I can think of besides what's been said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Darksyne:
Is the clutch fine when you first begin driving in the morning then get progressively worse?

How much clevis pin free play do you have?

Nope, it slips right away, although it get's a little bit worse. I honestly can't back out of my driveway (pretty steep) right after starting the car.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting 14u2nV:
Is it possible the flywheel has been resurfaced too many times or too much was taken off, and now that extra little missing material won't let the clutch hold tight?

Something else I thought of. All of your calipers are from other cars right. Are you SURE the pressure to each is right? Maybe your front/rear is off and not releasing completely, putting a heavy strain on the drive, making it slip?? Have you checked to make sure none of the wheels are dragging on the calipers or bigger rotors? Could more rotational mass be making it slip?

That's all I can think of besides what's been said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good out of the box thoughts. Front calipers are camaro, but I don't think this is the case as the car rolls around and I can push it with the pedal up.

Flywheel, I know the last one had been resurfaced. However, if the step height is correct for the pressure plate, there's no reason the clutch shouldn't at least engage correctly. But, with the newest clutch, it's a brand new flywheel.

This is frustrating, I'm going to have to pull this damn thing again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thanks for the help so far guys.

toybreaker

iconoclast
put vehicle on lift

"three foot" it

(hold the brake with your right foot, and roll the heel of your right foot onto the throttle pedal, select third gear and let the clutch up with your left foot).

Anything in the driveline turn?

... a broken center diff and/or t-case issues can be sorted this way, as can many clutch problems ...

If only the wheels at one end turn, firmly pull handbrake

put vehicle in first gear and release clutch.

Listen carefully with a stethescope and the problem will be found in short order.

... "swishing" sounds are likely to be the clutch,

... "crunching" sounds will be mechanical faults like stripped t-case spines or center diff issues

Last edited:

Quoting jepherz:
I don't think there's any possibility for any broken or stripped splines or half shafts, as this would have been very noticeable and would make horrible noise.

If the CV joint is worn enough then I've seen the two halves spin independently in the boot with no outward indication. The boot will get torn up eventually.

Double-check the joints and that axles are fully seated.

If you already had the clutch adjusted properly then you shouldn't need to again but it wouldn't hurt to give the hydraulic system another once over:
Clutch Adjustment

Terry Posten

When I bought my car it had a broken front diff from being towed with the rear on the ground.

When I test drove it, I broke it completely to where only the back wheels were driving the car forward.

The motor acted like it was slipping at the clutch. There was no noise after the first bang when the diff let go. The car drove fine under light throttle and as soon as boost hit it would still go forward but not matched to the revs.

I would bet that your issue is inside the tranny.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned