The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rattle can brands

GVR-4

What brand of paint have you guys had good luck with? It's time to paint the trim pieces with satin black. I bought some Rustoleum which I have always thought was good stuff and it comes out in small blobs, leaving the surface looking bad. It's their new design I guess.

TIA

Andy_S

I just painted some stuff with krylon and duplicolor. The krylon looks good, but the duplicolor has a nicer nozzle that sprays better. In the end its all just rattle cans. Its more in the prep.

pachood_1953

For trim, I use SEM Trim black in flat, or semi.

Its all I use for trim...You can buy it anywhere that sells autobody supplies.

Ian M

I've always liked the Rustoleum satin black,I've used it for years. I like the sheen,and it holds up really well. The last coat or so with aerosol paint I lay on heavy and let it flow out (but not not the point of running),and keep the whole surface wet so I've never had the nozzle affect the finshed product.

I've used the Krylon Fusion before,and it turned out really nice as well.

Last edited:

GVR-4

This is what I bought:

Obviously I can't say every can like this will spray like crap, but this one certainly did. Below are some pics of the cowling I was trying to paint. That crap in the paint that looks like lint or dust is where the paint itself came out in little blobs.

YMMV

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have just used the regular Rustoleum Satin black (white can), not special trim paint.

I'm guessing your can was brand new. I have had problems with Rustoleum if I do not use it up in one use, it tends to glob up later.

fivestardsm

Quoting pachood_1953:
For trim, I use SEM Trim black in flat, or semi.

Its all I use for trim...You can buy it anywhere that sells autobody supplies.

+1^^This is oe-look!

But.. I used to use Krylon firebox black, It matched Perfect, and was cheaper than the SEM. Its hard to find sometimes tho. I painted it on my first galant 6 years ago, and it still looks great.

4orced4door

+1 for the Duplicolor, I painted the lower half of 1788 using that stuff. Pretty good for what it is.

turbophein

i just bought trim paint from autozone $7 its called trim paint, lol and for anything else i have had great results with the walmart spray paint, $0.97 a can, i painted 2 whole trucks with it. lol its so cheap and dries super fast. i am restoring everything under the hood now, all brackets and bolts and what not. i am using a mix of factory, walmart and dupli-color paints. its coming out great so far.

stealthtt24

Are you guys talking about interior or exterior trims? I was going to start a thread on what rattle can to buy for spray painting interior trim pieces.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned