The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Random CAS cel

mr.mitsu

I keep getting a "crankshaft position sensor" code in my Galant.

It only comes on when revving the engine...up to 3000rpm

However, as fast as I get it, it disappears!

All connections are good and car runs mint.

Has anyone experienced an intermittent CEL like this before?

What else should I be checking?

Thanks

ghostinthevr4

Trust your car and change the crank angle sensor. It's going out you can verify this by checking continuity in the harness. You'll be able to drive it but it's going to start get worse the car will cut out on idle and if your doing any hard pulls it'll start misfiring and the rpm's will go irratic.

Ask me how I know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

mr.mitsu

Thanks for the advice!

Would this cause a stutter @ 1000rpm when blipping the throttle?
It happens everytime from idle when I rev the engine to about 2k.

I'll definitely check the CAS

ghostinthevr4

Iirc yes, mine actually started to stall at idle once it got worst. How did you retrieve the code do you have ECMlink or a pocket logger? If you can monitor the rpms you'll see some erratic changes in the rpm numbers.

For example you'll be ideling at 1000 and the log will show something stupid like 9856 just look for weird numbers.

mr.mitsu

I'm using link. I'm not getting weird idle numbers like that tho.
When blipping the throttle I'm seeing the MAFRAW value drop for a split second, then rises with rpm.

ghostinthevr4

I'm not to familiar with the maf I'm running speed density. You can clear the light and see if it comes on again. I recommend looking at the Haynes manual and checking for continuity. I can't look at mine I won't be home until Friday evening.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned