The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about temperature sensors on t-stat housing

89Mirageman

I have a thermostat housing here from what I believe to be a JDM GVR4. It has two of the small single prong sensors. I think dsm's only have one that works the temp gauge in the cluster. What about US Galant VR-4's? I know I can just plug the threaded hole but I'm wondering what the extra sensor is for? Does anyone know?

Andy_S

I think dsm's have 3. One for the ecu, one that runs the gauge, and one for the ac. The one for the gauge has a single spade wire to it, which you have two of. I'm sure one of those isn't for the ecu, so maybe its for the ac?

Last edited:

89Mirageman

This housing has 4, one two prong up on the very top for the fan, one two prong on the side for the ecu, one one prong one for the gauge cluster and then another one prong one. I have no idea what the last one is for. Like I said, my plan is to just plug it because I have no use for it. Just wondering if anyone knew what it did?

G

Staff member
Slightly off topic but does anyone have the part # for the one that comes on the mirage that doesn't have all the sensors?

89Mirageman

The 92-95 Hyundai Elantra's also use the same t-stat housing but they don't have the nipples for the turbo water lines.

Which Mirage housing doesn't have the sensors? I assumed they all used the same sensors and were close to the dsm housings.

G

Staff member
I'm not sure which model it is, but I know it exists.

brisvr4

Is this what you are looking for?
coolantsensors.jpg

89Mirageman

^^^^^Yep, that must be it. #4 is the one I'm asking about. So it has something to do with the AC or an automatic transmission?

brisvr4

It's kind of a failsafe switch. If your coolant temp rises too much it will switch on both fans to high.
A few of us have it connected to a switch in the cabin so the fans can be turned on and off at will.
Easy way to check it is to ground it out while the engine is running, fans should turn on.

89Mirageman

OK that makes perfect sense. Wonder if the US spec GVR4's have that extra sensor on them or is it plugged from the factory?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Yes, usdm vr4's have that sensor.

It's located on the rear of the housing, and had a black/blue (or maybe blue/black} wire running to it.

I *believe* grounding this wire will also disable the a/c clutch.

89Mirageman

Cool deal, thanks for clearing this up guys. Learned something new.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned