The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

T-Stat Housing Wiring Issues

Chad989of2000

Hey guys,I've been hitting the wiring diagrams and user drawings of all the electrical connections going into the t-stat housing (there are a few too many), and I've still got some questions and requests for advice.

Visual Aid:

I no longer have AC so I'm not concerned with those connections. However, the engine coolant temp gauge unit and engine temp sensor (engine control) unit look highly questionable. The gauge connection seems fine with just one simple connection...but the engine temp sensor is not connected at all as the wires have been pulled free from it. What is the easiest fix for this. Also, for the same wire bundle that these come from there are other errant wires not connected to anything. One is a rather thick green wire.

Bonus points, what is that black sensor with the red, white, and black wires coming from it. My guess would be something to do with the O2 sensor. As seen in the pic, a wire (black) is completely torn free from it.

Just tapping into the really technical guys here that can give me a solid plan of action to remedy these wiring issues. I can do basic electrical fixes just for the record. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

92_talon_awd

For the bonus points please, O2 sensor. It is supposed to clip to your water pipe in that area that looks like it was made just for it.

G

Staff member
Quoting coyotes:

The correct thread size is {3/8" gas} for 1, 2, 5 and 6.

Chad989of2000

The T-Stat images above are DSM right? They didn't have the AC Temp plug on top. I've identified the plugs...just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fix the wiring issues (unless new plugs come with wiring attached). My main issue was how to go about fixing the wiring (re-connecting) if at all possible.

LIV4PSI

You need to find a new plug in and wire it on, extremely basic to do.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Or, I have on occasion de-pinned connectors and soldered new wires directly to the terminal to splice if I can't find new terminals to work in the connectors.

Chad989of2000

Looking at doing this...going to try to source a used one at junkyard first. They are hard to track down, as it is not the O2 sensor side that needs fixing.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The harness side O2 sensor is a hard repair. I actually replaced mine with the later style square 4 pin connector because I use the longer 2g O2 sensor with my 2g housing anyway.

Chad989of2000

Yeah...not looking to replace the O2 sensor itself. I'll try to find another, then try to repair the current one. If that all fails (which is highly possible) I'll look to go the 2G route.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned