The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problem replacing shifter cables

JackbNimble

I'm in the process of swapping out my snapped shifter cable on my 90 Galant GSX. I almost have the old ones out, but for the life of me I can't figure out what to use to get the two nuts off that hold the bracket to the firewall. After fumbling around with a 12mm and 13mm socket, I realized that they are actually square nuts. So, I went out and picked up 12mm and 13mm square sockets. Well, the 12mm is too small and the 13mm is too big. So any ideas on what the heck I could use to get these darn things off? A normal straight wrench won't work because the nuts are recessed in and I doubt a crowsfoot would fit in either.

pot

Staff member
Which side of the firewall are you attacking the pair of nuts from? If its from the engine bay side, stop. You need to remove the two side panels from the interior center console and get at the two 10 or 12mm bolts from inside the cabin. I recommend a 1/4 ratchet and appropriate socket.

JackbNimble

I already have the center console off, but I didn't see any bolts inside. Lemme check again.

JackbNimble

Found 'em and got them out! Thanks! Now, is there any trick for getting that damn rubber boot off or pulling it out through the firewall?

rdomeck

FYI....If you find a square nut on any newer (1960 on) car, it's almost certain that it is welded in and you need to access the bolt from the other side!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts