The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Prepping a bumper for paint

1badgvr4

Need to know what sand paper and bondo. Also isn't there a place a can get factory colors in a spray can?

fivestardsm

Quote: 1badgvr4

"isn't there a place a can get factory colors in a spray can"

Dealership can get the spray-cans of it. They are like a 8oz. or 10oz. can.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
You basically need to follow everything in this thread. The brand of bondo I got for my bumper was "Thin Ice". Also, any automotive paint store can mix you the correct base coat for your car. Keep in mind, though, that the better brands (Dupont chromabase, PPG) will match better to the factory colors because they invest the time/money to get the match closer.

pachood_1953

^^ Although you are correct, its also important to HAVE YOUR CAR with you when you get paint. There are often alot of variances in colors so they can find the RIGHT one for your car. I'v seen it plenty of times where 1 paint code matches ~8 paint chips.

At the factory, they dont really care what EXACT color the car is painted, as long as its all the same color. Its often off by just that little bit, but thats enough to have panel painted parts to look way off whack.

As I probably stated in the thread jepherz posted, and want fix it PROPERLY I would use a fusor product.

You can use a normal "bondo" but I highly discourage it. Plastic and mud expand differently from heat, so it WILL fail eventually..but if you want to use a rattle can paint, I doubt you are too concerned.

Just be advised, it WILL NOT look good with rattle can. A bumper can be painted for under $100 in materials easily.

turbowop

Quote:

Just be advised, it WILL NOT look good with rattle can.

A rattle can will look just as good as the 17 year old paint a lot of these cars have. I'm pretty anal about the paint on 1051, but when I did the bumpers with a color matched rattlecan on 503, it turned out good enough to match the rest of the car and look decent enough that people say "you did that with a rattlecan?!". Everybody that's seen the car in person thinks it looks great.

Last edited:

1badgvr4

Pachood I need to take a pic of my car. The bumper is pretty mangled and when you look at it the drivers side sits lower than the pass side. The headlight sits about a quarter inch lower than the hood.Do I have to take it to a frame shop or what.This is on a 1g, but this is the only site that gives a straight answer without thread jacking.If it needs to be moved mods please do so.

pachood_1953

^^I assume it was in an accident at one time? It could be anything from bent brackets, to a tweaked core support.

Quoting turbowop:
Quote:

Just be advised, it WILL NOT look good with rattle can.

A rattle can will look just as good as the 17 year old paint a lot of these cars have. I'm pretty anal about the paint on 1051, but when I did the bumpers with a color matched rattlecan on 503, it turned out good enough to match the rest of the car and look decent enough that people say "you did that with a rattlecan?!". Everybody that's seen the car in person thinks it looks great.

[age]https://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=85940&width=400[/img]

Well it looks like I stand corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have never seen a decent job come out of a rattle can, but going by the picture that actually does look good.
I am REALLY picky, so I have a hard time with anything less then near perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned