The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Premature Boost?

Diego

Ok, driving along with my brother to buy a fuel pump to see if its the problem, but hear me out.

It doesn't happen all the time but, when driving around like on the interstate 55 in constructiongive it gas turbo will spool full but guage reads out 9psi but I know its at 11... and the turbo will sputter/cough back....

But other times it drives fine.. boost fully...

I will also check injectors if they are dirty or clogged too...

Anyone think of other things that can do this.

Barnes

If the gauge reads 9psi, how is it that you know it is actually 11psi?

steve

^ This. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Why even have a gauge if you already ascertain the exact boost pressure through some type of divine knowing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That happen to me bro and it was my spark plug wires that where ripped and when I changed them the turbo was running great

Diego

I switched boost guages went to prosport from an autometer....

But that's not the point.

The point is... car was fine, put a s16g on and left it run just a dp... ran fine, put the whole exhaust unit on and it chokes.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Not the wires... those I replaced when I got the car home. I leaning towards fuel cut... so I am changing the pump.

sixsixtwo

Hitting fuel cut has nothing to do with replacing your fuel pump. Fuel cut is a safety feature of the ECU designed to prevent you from running too lean. Also, boost leaks can cause you to hit fuel cut sooner than is normal.

AnotherNewb

Yep, we're going to need one of these

img.php

steve

Quoting sixsixtwo:
Hitting fuel cut has nothing to do with replacing your fuel pump. Fuel cut is a safety feature of the ECU designed to prevent you from running too lean. Also, boost leaks can cause you to hit fuel cut sooner than is normal.

This.

Diego

I haven't logged it... lost my palm dl in the nice winter that 1309 sat in, not sure where it went....

I will try to get a flick of it when it happens...

Oh and no I'm not VTA... I could get stabbed in the face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

" Kill him in the face, if he's venting to the air" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Diego,
Have you did a boost leak test? Start there.

Quoting Diego:
I switched boost guages went to prosport from an autometer....

But that's not the point.

The point is... car was fine, put a s16g on and left it run just a dp... ran fine, put the whole exhaust unit on and it chokes.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Not the wires... those I replaced when I got the car home. I leaning towards fuel cut... so I am changing the pump.

so you had just a downpipe on, and it ran fine (albiet probably loud as all holy hell), then you put the rest of the exhaust on, and now it chokes on boost? any chance theres something in there clogging it>? what exhaust is it?

Diego

Its stock exhaust, completely stock, just a zip tied mbc and a small 16.... that's it.

Yes it did run loud... the hoses are not split. Clamps on tight.

o_O wow, never seen stock exhaust before lol... it's possible your cats clogged, or getting there anyway

Diego

I'm thinking my Sir names are getting longer.....???? Ahaha... debackle... and what is this sweet touche... haha

Anyways back on track... that is a possiblity.

Boost leak passes.
Hoses tight and in no warped condition.

If it is exhaust time to find some exhaust shop... that does mandrel and not bench bend....

And yes stock exhaust is nuts. I laughed as its been some time since me or my brother had stock exhaust.... haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

steve

Quoting Diego:
"As flash" I meant something to suite (otherwise hide) the rails and add a touche of glam

click

Suite, touche, both used wrong... just like debacle (or debackle if you prefer).

Diego

Haha nice. Now I get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif At least you earned yourself a title /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned