The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering cooler questions

First off, I'd like to know if you all even think one is necessary for a street car. I haven't even had the factory tube in place since I front mounted my car, and haven't noticed any ill-effects from removing it. I don't do anything like autocross or time attack, just street driving and the occassional drag race.

Second, how big is too big? The cooler that I'm planning on using is about 10"x10", 1/2" thick with dual 3/8" clamp on hose fittings. I already have this cooler which makes it more convenient than anything else. If you guys say that it is too big, what size would be best?

Also, I was told that there was a mod that could be done to the pump (I think) for better pressure output? Does anyone know anything about this?

Terry Posten

I eliminated my cooler when I ditched the AWS an that included a TEL resevoir.

Just take it off an simplify the hoses.

broxma

On a street car you should never see any problem. I took mine off when I put the FMIC on and never an issue.

/brox

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll be saving the cooler for another project down the road.

vr4play

If you have one I would use it. I have what I thought was a fairly large sized cooler for the power steering and it gets fairly hot. You may not notice any issues but the extra heat is killing the components of the system. If I were going to do it again I would have gone bigger that what I have. Heat is the number one killer of most automotive components.

rdomeck

Not saying taking it off is wrong, but a lot of manufactures install them for a reason...Not because they have the extra parts laying around, but because they need them. Now that might be for warranty reasons or something else. I plan on leaving mine on. If there is a problem I would probably fix it or replace it with a larger one! Just my opinion!

can someone post pics of their power steering cooler because mine has been deleted

There isn't a 'true' cooler installed from the factory. There is a metal tube that is used to loop around in front of the radiator, which would recieve airflow at speed and provide some cooling of the fluid. But because it lacks sufficient surface area to truly function as a cooler, it is my opinion that it is really there to increase fluid capacity, which would inherently also help keep temps down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts