The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power Steering Belt and Alternator problem

SiennaLover69

So, a couple days ago as im driving, somehow the power steering belt just flips around, it does a complete 180 and the teeth are facing the other direction. It happened as I was trying to speed through a light, I switched gears too quickly and released the clutch too early. The belt was really worn on one side and old so I figured that might just be the problem. I cut it off and drive with no power steering home.
Fast forward to a few hours ago, I get the alternator belt off and im able to just slide the new power steering belt on without removing any bolts from the power steering. I hadnt moved it around at all, nor did it look like its been move around or anything, also I know for sure its the right belt.

Also on an unrelated note I notice that the alternator is really wobbly, like I can move it side to side about half an inch. I tried to just throw back on the alternator belt and drive with now power steering for a few more days but now the alternator belt isnt tightening all the way.
Ive gotta head to work, lol, ive gotta bum a ride, so ill try to add more info if I need to throughout the day if I can!

Thanks in advance!

prove_it

You do realize that the alternator belt also drives the water pump, right?

I wouldn't be driving it at all. Also I'm having a lot of trouble believing the belt "flipped". You need to correct the alternator wobble and replace the belts. Start there. Make sure everything in bolted down and there is no play in the pump.

MellowVR4

Make sure you check if the metal bushing on the alternator didnt fly off.

desant78

dumb question, is the alertnator and power steering pump properly tensioned? are all bolts that hold them tight? Lastly, is the pulley on the water pump tight? Does that pulley wobble?

I know it's the silly basics, but that is exactly where I would start. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned