The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo stopped building boost...lots of questions

So a few months ago I was boosting hard in 3rd gear and stopped building boost. I got it home and the car was a few quarts low on oil when I checked the dipstick so I figure that had something to do with it.

I got it home and pulled the intake off then tried to turn the compressor wheel. It was siezed. Today I took the Turbo apart by removing the center clamp. I grabbed the Turbine and turned it counter clockwise. I can hear a clicking noise from the turbine when I turn it counter clockwise by hand (but no real friction). The compressor wheel turns smoothly with no rubbing at all just like that and all of the sudden.

I see a few small dings on the compressor wheel but my rough guess is that this is no big deal.

I see alot of talk on different forums about the center housing being "junk" if the compressor wheel touches the center housing. How do I know that the center housing is officially "junk" or when it can be reused. It does look like the compressor has rubbed the center housing but it doesn't look bad at all in my opinion which probably means nothing.

I pushed the compressor wheel in and out and there is a little bit of play and also side to side there is a little play (possibly enough where it might rub but not sure).

Also, should oil have been pouring out of the turbo? I saw very little come out of the oil line.

Finally looking for any links or information on how to get the compressor wheel out so that I can measure it with dial calipers and see if it is really a Big 16g or not? Previous owner claims its a Big 16g but the housing is for a small 16g.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Not really looking to buy a turbo until I can find out what is what so no pm(s) please.

Thank you

A

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason G.

It would be hard to say what condition the CHRA is in without disassembling and inspecting it. If it was seized from oil starvation then I would guess if there's any life left in it, it will be short.

Pull the ring out from behind the compressor cover, then measure your wheel. No need to remove the wheel.

Good point on the oil starvation part, never stopped to think about the basics. What do you mean by CHRA, ring, and compressor cover?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

citymunky

CRHA= Center Rotating Housing assy (the center section the holds the turbine, and compressor. Oil and water ports)
Ring= Big snap ring
Compressor cover=Part of the Turbo which the J-pipe bolts to if you have a 14b or 16g.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned