The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post your ETs race short route intercooler piping builds

Brutal213

Cool let me know I wanna install my intercooler but need a plan or measurements

turbomister2

I dropped the car off to a shop and they routed the pipes completely different. They routed them where they aren’t in the way of everything but I also think they were limited on options because of the intercooler size and it being a 1g core.

IMG_0216.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

jt_amx

I'm considering using the ETS 1G street core and doing something similar.
What did they do on the passenger-side IC outlet pipe? Can you share some pics? Looks super clean overall!

turbomister2

I'm considering using the ETS 1G street core and doing something similar.
What did they do on the passenger-side IC outlet pipe? Can you share some pics? Looks super clean overall!
So in order to get mine to fit they had to relocate the passenger side inlet from The back to the side and the driver side they had to move up higher. I’ll take some pictures later of the set up routing

turbomister2

You're asking for an overheating condition. There is little flow for the radiator.
Please elaborate ? I know the “natural air flow” may be compromised but my thought is an electric fan set up with a higher cfm would compensate for that.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

When you install an intercooler that big; it restricts airflow. I know, because I did it. Even with an aftermarket aluminum radiatior and duel electric fans; overheating was present. 219 degrees with water wetter, etc. If you look at the japan spec VR4s, the Mitsu engineers put in a front mount intercooler they knew would not cause overheating. Same goes for the 2003 up EVOs.

I run a tredstone TR6 or TR8. These are more designed for the VR4 lower airdam. Good luck with you build, it does look nice !!

turbomister2

When you install an intercooler that big; it restricts airflow. I know, because I did it. Even with an aftermarket aluminum radiatior and duel electric fans; overheating was present. 219 degrees with water wetter, etc. If you look at the japan spec VR4s, the Mitsu engineers put in a front mount intercooler they knew would not cause overheating. Same goes for the 2003 up EVOs.

I run a tredstone TR6 or TR8. These are more designed for the VR4 lower airdam. Good luck with you build, it does look nice !!
Appreciate the info, I’m hoping I can manage the heat but if not I guess I got some nice pics with the intercooler and will just have to change it 😂

Turbo99

I had a large core on 1459 and have a 4" thick huge ETS intercooler completely obstructing the bumper inlet in my 2g and neither car has ever had overheating issues, even on significantly warm days at the track. Having a good radiator core and fans that move a good amount of air that are properly installed are going to make a significant difference.

mitsuturbo

I had a large core on 1459 and have a 4" thick huge ETS intercooler completely obstructing the bumper inlet in my 2g and neither car has ever had overheating issues, even on significantly warm days at the track. Having a good radiator core and fans that move a good amount of air that are properly installed are going to make a significant difference.
I've had my car on jackstands for a while, doing a few things. Can confirm that if you have a GOOD radiator and fans (no mishimoto garbage, especially fans) then you won't have an issue with overheating. I've had my car running in the shop when it's well over 90f ambient for an hour at a time and never once saw over 200f coolant temps. Even with an oil cooler between the FMIC and radiator.
My setup has an afco 80107n radiator and a single 14" Maradyne 225w fan. It's a bit oversized for the radiator, but it gets the job done.

Seems i don't have any pictures of the final install, but you get the general idea. This is an ETS 3.5" DSM Race core. It's as short route as it gets.

Gvr4OilCooler.jpg

FMICmockup.jpg

FMICMockupBumper.jpg

Oh yeah... it also doesn't hang below the front bumper cover.

Last edited:

SparxXVR4

I've had my car on jackstands for a while, doing a few things. Can confirm that if you have a GOOD radiator and fans (no mishimoto garbage, especially fans) then you won't have an issue with overheating. I've had my car running in the shop when it's well over 90f ambient for an hour at a time and never once saw over 200f coolant temps. Even with an oil cooler between the FMIC and radiator.
My setup has an afco 80107n radiator and a single 14" Maradyne 225w fan. It's a bit oversized for the radiator, but it gets the job done.

Seems i don't have any pictures of the final install, but you get the general idea. This is an ETS 3.5" DSM Race core. It's as short route as it gets.

View attachment 3051

View attachment 3052

View attachment 3053

Oh yeah... it also doesn't hang below the front bumper cover.
Love this, it's literally helping me and my daughter do the 1g fmic from ETS now. I'm cutting the flat bar to run accross now, just trying to see how you got it where you got it, there is a tiny lip on the face, can't make it sit flat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned