The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Please help me pick a carbon fiber hood and hood pins

I am on ebay now looking around for a carbon fiber hood. I am a pretty big price shopper but these things are expensive. I am really hung on getting one though. I have read that there is a VERY GREAT risk that the hood will smack into the windshield if I don't get hood pins. The thing is, I don't know anything about hood pins and how to install them. I don't understand a thing about them.

Could you all tell me where you would buy a hood from for a "good" price that won't fade etc and that is compatible with hood pins?

This is one area that I have no expertise in whatsoever!

Thanks for your time.

H05TYL

Any hood will be compatible with hood pins.

To fit them you drill a hole in the radiator support and fit the pin with a nut on each side.
Then you drill a hole in the hood for the pin to pass through. The catch part is then fitted to the outside of the hood.
It takes abit of fiddling to get the pins adjusted so the hood sits at the right height when closed.

I'll take some pictures of mine to hopefully make it abit clearer.

All cf hoods will fade over time if they are exposed to the elements and heat. You need to find a way to install the fabric heat pad on the underside to block the heat from hitting the hood.

I suggest a hi rev cf jdm hood because the vents allow heat to escape. I used gold foil on the underside of mine. Just remember though, hi rev has been flaky as of late but they are the only company in the states that sells a jdm vented cf hood.

Price, well most times you get what you pay for. You want something cheap it will most likely have cheap build quality. Keep in mind that cf is aftermarket and cf aftermarket for our old cars typically never fits like oem.

Oh yeah hood pins. I didn't know how to install these either, never had before but I did a lot of searching and figured it out.

Search on here, there is a hood pin thread where a member installed aerocatch. Search google too. You can also go with sparco hood pins. Measure three times, maybe four and cut once, take your time.

Diego

I think HiRev went outta business, someone want to confirm or deny.

Diego

If your looking for a CF jdm vented hood I was talking to CarbonCreations and they were looking for 1k-1.5k and you ship them a hood to mold... otherwise they offer the plan jane cf for 680 I believe.

BrandonEchols

I found This one whilst using the searching power of the intertronz.
Anyone heard of/dealt with these guys?

ktmrider

^^ I'm almost positive this is the company that MADE the hoods for Hi-Rev ( HR outsourced the construction to a place in LA ).
See the GB thread for more info, they may be showing the top side only due to a semi-hack job on the first round of hoods on the underside.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned