The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon Fiber Hood

mitsuturbo

I guess i'm out of the loop, because all 3 of those cars you have mentioned, while being constructed with a fair amount of "real" carbon fibre, seem to generally be PAINTED. Just because a select few cars rolled out unpainted, does not mean it's widely accepted as attractive. If it were so awesome, i'd think they'd save the money, time and headache of painting any of them, at all.

It *is* a matter of preference, though. You are right. Just like "sittin hellaflush" is a matter of personal preference, right there along with "rollin on 22's" with a lift kit in 80's caprice classics.

slugsgomoo

seriously, paint is heavy. If you look at F40's the paint is actually so thin you can still see the weave through it, especially in the sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It doesn't really matter for us with basically FG hoods.

I'm not going to paint mine, at least not until I'm ready to paint the entire car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ApexHunter

Quoting mitsuturbo:
You'd be better off skinning the hood so there's nothing but half a skeleton left underneath. Don't waste your money.

There's a JMF race manifold FS on the link forums right now for 350. It would help to propel you faster than any ricer hood weight reduction could. Go buy it. (i would have bought it already, if i wasn't up to my bicep in machine work)

However weight reduction not only helps acceleration but also decel and cornering and lower the cost of replacement wear items. I'm trying to add as much lightness as possible for these reasons. Yes, the manifold has its benefits however if i did switch mani's i'd be looking at an evoIII or cyclone manifold. The car's focus is going to be road course type track days with a minor in streetability. Dropping weight off a stock hood might be something i'll look into.

morganc

Thanks for the people who put in legit input. I really don't care what anyone else has to think and didn't ask for your negative opinions. The only reason I'm getting a new hood is because a drunk driver ran into the side of the car and insurance is paying for a new one. Why not buy what I want? I'm in the process of putting the rest of the "go-fast" parts on the car. So i really don't need to use the money to make the car fast, I need a hood.

Hertz

Staff member
If you post a question on this site in these sections you are inviting the response of any and all members. You don't have to ask for negative opinions, they should be expected.

Sorry about your unfortunate circumstance and good luck with your repairs.

gtluke

Full disclaimer, I have one of the fiberglass hoods with rice on the top. Couldn't find a plain CF one for the right price.
I think it looks fine unpainted, but I don't like the fact that it pretends to be something that it is not.

The actual real race carbon fiber body parts look like crap, nobody leaves those unpainted (generally)

ultimate carbon fiber build thread:
click

SmoothCustomer

I didn't read your link. Actual fiber as in dry carbon? STM's ricer has a dry carbon roof hood and trunk lid, unpainted. Doesn't look good imo, but it makes the car look super mean if you know what it is.

gtluke

Yeah mostly dry carbon. Guy builds a 2400lb 1500hp 97 mustang cobra for American Iron, in his backyard.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned