The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Picked up 1407

Racah15

Hey what's up guys? So after being into DSMs for a while, I got the GVR4 bug after admiring the more mature crowd they attract (unfortunately, today I see even some immature/hacks still own galants too). I already made an intro thread and you guys can read that later.
Long story short... I straight traded my perfectly running DD 1997 Tsi AWD which only needed paint, for a hacked up, beaten, wire nightmare, destroyed VR4. The previous owner said it only needed to be put back together, which was obviously not the case... The previous owner bought the car for a decent amount of cash and then traded it for my car, he had not done anything with it other than store it in his yard for a while. So it's not really the previous owners fault, it's more like the previous, previous owner's fault this all happened. If I knew who the previous owner was, I would slap the silly out of him and beat some sense into him for destroying such a rare car. It frustrates me the things he did to this car (cut up the wiring harness because hes too lazy to remove plugs, hacked up a radiator setup, installed an eBay 20g on a stock motor and blew it up, hacked everything up, including installing a 1g front motor mount instead of the GVR4 specific one, so now my t-case might be poop, I don't know..etc etc etc.. lazy things, stupid things, DSM things...)
So this thread basically covers some of the stuff some friends and I have done to get 1407 reliable and restored. She's not done.. not even close, but hopefully sometime soon she will be.

Here was my daily driver, just needed paint, she was perfect:

Here is 1407 after I got her home:

Previous owner destroyed the tie rod ends or some crap like that. So I destroyed perfectly good 90% tread tires in 5 days. This is after assembling the car. The car still had issues, leaks etc... This was her first week out, and she got an alignment asap..

After driving her for a few weeks, she kept overheating. Her harness was hacked so I could never get a temp reading, but luckily my good friend Austin was kind enough to fix that right up for me. Seriously, without this guy I wouldn't be where I am at with any of my cars. Kid's a genious, his forum name is austinawd, you can view his thread there in the newbies section. We both picked up Galant projects on the same day.

Anywho, she kept overheating and got a new radiator and -20AN fitting setup I had left over from a paypal dispute. Thing is a POS, but it was better than the radiator that was in there. Car still ran pretty bad, and sounds bad. Has the flex section completely sheered off from the previous owner lowering the car hardcore on those Ksports. So After a few months, we proceed to the following pics. She finally is getting a makeover.
Here she is digging into a line of crack before she starts (haha jk, just bondo).

And thus, work begins! Got to sand the car down and bondo any and all spots. The previous owner seemed to like to dent this car, so it was a nightmare. The drivers rear quarter panel was dented severly, and the top of rear quarter looked like it had been stabbed with a screwdriver... all fixed though!!

Taking off the bumper, the previous owner hacked the bumper support off..... Thanks guy!!! YOU FKN rule... Oh well

Here she is, ready for paint.

After getting her running, we drove her to the paint booth I rented out and started sealing. In my first intro thread I said I was going to paint it Rally Red, but I decided against that. I wanted something flashy and inconspicuous at the same time. So I chose W12 Chrysler Bright White with a blue pearl coat afterwards. Here is the first steps

This was my fist time painting a car, so I was really slow. Unfortunately, on a time crunch I wasn't able to finish painting and my bud Austin did the rest. It came out great though, especially for a time crunch. He whipped it out quick and came out nice.
Here is the rest:

Not sure if you can see the pearl here, but it's there and in sunlight it looks amazing!! This is the pearl coat.

Decided to go with a Panda look in honor of my favorite affordable car maker, Eagle.

Fresh out of the booth:

I still have more to take, and the car isn't fully wet sanded, but shes getting there!
I will keep updating this as we go on.
OH and here is my 2g incase anyone likes 2gs. I know I do

Let me know what you guys think!
OH and the 2g pics aren't recent. She has had a few changes since then and new wheels!!

Vr4junkie

Paint job looks awesome cant wait to see the end results defiantly gotta get sum pics under sunlight.... by the way what kind of rims are those on the car I love the way they look???

Racah15

Thanks guys!
Will definately take pics once shes good to go. Not sure on the rims, couldnt find a stamp or brand on them. Oh well, at the moment, the rims are probably being processed into toasters and coke cans right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

5OF2k

Welcome! Glad to see a fellow Springs GVR4 doing it right!

Looks like its coming along nicely. Keep up the good work! I had seen that for sale for quite a while kn craigslist, by hoth the previous previous and previous owner... Props for taking it kn and giving it a good life! It deserves it!

-Jake

Racah15

Thanks man! Good to see we have more fellow Springs owners too!
Yeah, did you see how bad it was in those posts? Haha. I feel bad saying that in the pics and posts on CL, it looked to be in better condition than it actually is. I feel bad for who ever did this to 1407. Even in my pics the car looks to be in decent condition, but it was a completely opposite story once I got it. Paint was nasty, the whole body was destroyed, the interior is destroyed, its a nightmare, but its fun and challenging and when she's done, it will all be worth it.
Lets go for a cruise sometime man, I know a couple more VR4 owners in the springs we can cruise with.

5OF2k

Sounds good to me sir, PM me with your contact info if you want.

GVR47111K

Can't believe that is the same car that just wouldn't sell on cl. Awesome work!

tyeler18

Did you just recently get this? Or are you the guy I came and helped swap the turbo out to trade for my buddies 01 Dodge dakota? The blue 4x4 dakota, we drove down from Laramie to trade. Because this is the galant we came to look at, just not sure if you're the guy who was selling it, or if you got it from him.

Racah15

I picked it up a few months ago. picked it up from a taller dude in Denver so if that's where you went. I got a 14b with the car which was sold 30 minutes after i found it in the trunk haha. Had a 16g awaiting in the garage haha.

GSX_TC

Loving that pearl white paint. And laughed out loud at the crack comment with the car haha.

tyeler18

Wow yea, the guy was in Aurora that I was helping. That car was an absolute nightmare. He told us all it needed was a turbo swap and it'd run fine, so we came down prepared to swap to the 16g and trade the truck and be off. 6 hours later we finally got it fired up and it was pouring smoke everywhere. We just told the guy there was obviously no way we were going to be trading for it and left very pissed off. Glad to see you restored it as the guy in Aurora definitely wasn't going to do anything more than f*** it up.

Racah15

Haha wow, that actually really sucks! I would be pissed too. Yeah, when I bought it, it was in the picture with my friend and his green shirt. No V/C, turbo, or ICPipes or anything put on. I guess since you guys got it running, he tried to get it fixed or something... Not sure, but either way it was all apart then, and wires were cut everywhere and HG was blown. He told me all it needed to be done was put back together. That was a lie too because it's leaking oil out of every crevice possible and it's just junk...
But yeah it's hopefully going to be pretty reliable and aesthetically pleasing hopefully. I know that guy wouldn't of done any of this, so I'm kinda glad she's been saved from another "ghetto-hacker" haha.

tyeler18

Yea the compression numbers were all fucked on it when we tested, so I told him he's going to want to pull the head and see what's going on with it. Looks like he started before giving up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

It was a pretty clean body though other than those K-sports being slammed down so far we damn near ripped the bumper off pulling it out of the driveway. That was a real fun adventure trying to push it back up.

Racah15

OH yeah, haha.
Everyone who I showed the car said that too, but it actually wasn't. It was all hidden, haha. Did you see the drivers rear quarter panel how MUFFED up it was? Hahaha. But yeah, the body did look straight but it wasn't until we actually started doing body work when we realized it was totally effed up. Check out the spot prime pics in my garage. All of that spot prime was covering up some kind of dent or parts where it needed body filler. Basically the whole car. The hood was the worse. And both rear quarter panels were messed up. One was dented like a fat chicks cellulite filled cottage cheese leg, with a large dent beyond the body line, and the other was also dented passed the body line. It was horrible. Haha. But shes all straight now minus 1 or 2 dings that got missed. Yeah those Ksports kinda bug me. The car is WAYYY to slammed and it's becoming a nuisance. Haha, oh well, it's all fixable.

nemovr4

Ha I remember seeing that on Craigslist here for a while, nice to see it got picked up by someone who cares! Also awesome to see another CO VR4! Can't wait to see the finished product. Iam currently getting 861/1000 back to running form, just waiting for one of my friends to have an open garage I can tear it apart in (since I live in Cap Hill) haha.
Hope to see you around when they are all running.

seizer

Nice work man. I havent been on this forum in a while and its nice to see close locals giving love to these cars. Its giving me some motivation my car needs some tlc from me.

5OF2k

So, what's new with this thing man? When the eff are we Springs cats going to get together and beat on some ricers? lol

-Jake

Racah15

Quoting nemovr4:
Ha I remember seeing that on Craigslist here for a while, nice to see it got picked up by someone who cares! Also awesome to see another CO VR4! Can't wait to see the finished product. Iam currently getting 861/1000 back to running form, just waiting for one of my friends to have an open garage I can tear it apart in (since I live in Cap Hill) haha.
Hope to see you around when they are all running.

Thanks man! I hear yours is running now, is that correct?

Quoting seizer:
Nice work man. I havent been on this forum in a while and its nice to see close locals giving love to these cars. Its giving me some motivation my car needs some tlc from me.

Thanks! DO you have a thread on yours?

Quoting tintoy:
Will also look good with cf hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Indeed it would, unfortunately no budget for it yet, haha

Quoting 5OF2k:
So, what's new with this thing man? When the eff are we Springs cats going to get together and beat on some ricers? lol

-Jake

Haha actually nothing. It's been down awaiting a heart transplant and a 5 lug swap. But I have done neither. Haha. I just moved like a couple weeks ago and I have not had time to work on it. Been trying to get the 2g running but not much progress. I am going to see if I can get the Galant to run instead because I might need it more than I need the 2g right now. Whenever I get this thing running and buffed we'll go out and have some ricer beatdowns! Haha. Oh, and when it's not freezing balls outside. Or snowy... liek right now.. Haha

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned