The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Passed CA emissions test

I got one too

I'm sure this has been tried and discussed before, but I just wanted to share my experience. I have a federal emissions Galant VR4 in California and I just passed the sniffer test last Friday with the following mods:

Build bottom end with:
JE 9.0:1 pistons
Crower rods

Head:
Ported and polished with 1mm over sized valves
HKS 272 cams
HKS springs and retainers
JUN adj cam sprockets

Intake:
Stock intake and MAF
Big front mount intercooler with 2 1/5" hard pipes
Greddy Type-R BOV

Exhaust:
2g manifold
FP 18g
Megan O2
Megan 3" DP
BRAND SPANKING NEW 3" CAT
Apex 3" N1 catback

Engine Management:
ECMLink v3 simply set to 720cc's and no other adjustments
720cc
Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Unfortunately I failed visual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They were asking where my original motor was, so I mentioned that it was the original motor and that this car was a 'limited edition' and pointed out the dash plaque. I did put back all emissions equipment and added a brand new 3" cat. I'm just glad that I don't have to pull out the 272's, injectors and fuel pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

congrats! I need to get mine done in the next couple months, but I don't have an oem airbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Did you have one? Besides the "shiny" pipes and turbo it just looks like a clean engine and have all my emissions stuff hooked up. I think I'll run the evo 3 exh manifold and heat shield tho (rather than FP).

I got one too

This was how my engine bay looked with the exception of a stock air can and snorkel. I really just wanted to see if it will pass the sniffer with all those mods. From now on, I just need to put back the stock intake, piping, intercooler, and fuel regulator (i will be running a stock one from now on).

That sucks for you guys that have to switch stuff back and forth every year.

JNR

Well, it's every other year and other than the air box, I'm not gonna worry about it...once the FP is on, I'll go with it and maybe put a psuedo heat shield over it...something glack and oem looking.

MMCVR4

Quoting I got one too:

What kind of I/C & piping do you have on there? Also like the color on the VC, just like the Ebo.

496of2000

Mine passed too. They only send me to TEST only station. Reason High Emitter profile.

Last edited:

got to do mine at the end of the year but not sure i might make it a non op and make it a full race car. still debating.

deez

get a PO Box in Amador county, send all your DMV stuff there, then have it forwarded back to you. No smog if you do that

JNR

Would the police think anything funny if your car was registered to a PO box? Or maybe you get the kind with an address...Although, I'm sure they're gonna ask what you're "doing down here"....hmm, tempting though...Oh yeah, would all your cars need to be registered in same place (address)?

poppin3000

I heard that P.O. boxes don't work anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That is to say, the DMV is now aware that people are using that method to bypass smog regulations.

Last edited:

mpt72

Yeah, there is a number you're supposed to call to report out of state plates... whatever... I got a friend of my father-in-law that'll pass mine for 100. No matter what. San bernardino, ca.

4thStroke

Did you simply roll in to the testing with the car set up how you drive it?

There are a few things you can do to help pass if you have a more aggressive setup.

Retard the timing (via CAS), 87 octane (or whatever the lowest in your is), run the motor around 215*, and a gallon of denatured alcohol (to a 1/4 tank or so).

I got through WA emissions without a cat at all. I only had to swap the stock injectors back in (the 1250s wouldn't cut it), play with the tune a bit, and it got through with good numbers, not borderline at all. I'm sure CA is a little more strict. Fortunate for us, we don't have visual inspection to get through. How do you plan on passing the visual?

This was with a 9:1 built motor with 272s, driving at 410whp.

What kind of cat do you have?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned