The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

parking brake switch

paul j

I need to replace my parking brake switch (light is always on) but it looks like it is tough to get to. It looks like the module (ABS?) on top of the switch needs to come off but is that enough? Does the center console have to be removed to get enough clearance to work in there?

SouthCaliVR4

take the pocket out of the center console, the one under the lid & you should be able to reach it. Stupid question, is your master cyl full? It uses the same light.

mitsuturbo

I've something to add here. If you fluid is low.. DO NOT TOP IT OFF! You should never have to top off brake fluid unless you've bled some out, or there's a leak somewhere.

You can top it off, AFTER you check ALL your brake pads, as well as your lines and calipers for leaks. The brake systems is supposed to be completely sealed. If there's a leak, fix it. If the fluid is down and there are no leaks, then your pads are likely very worn, or someone bled the brakes and didn't re-fill properly.

As pads wear, the pistons extend and leave space in the calipers. The fluid from the reservoir fills the calipers. As the calipers fill, the reservoir (obviously) drains, setting off the "brake" light. This is by design.

curtis

^smart guy listen to him my sister in laws ex husband called one day and said they were fixing a huge spaghetti dinner if I would come fix the car cause something fell out under the wheel and he didn't know what it was, it was half of the steel from the back of the brake pad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

paul j

Great info. It was low brake fluid. Knowing the fundamentals can make some things much simpler. Next step checking all calipers, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned