The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to hook up foglights to parking lights?

Brunoboy

So I have electrical Gremlins in my car. My dimmer switch still is a hit or miss and my fog light switch doesnt work anymore.(It did when I bought the car). I need to know how to wire my foglights up to my parking lights. Has anyone done this? and how simple is it?

dsm10o0

Cut positive wire on fog lights and run that positive wire to the positive of the parking lights.

Brunoboy

no relay is required? no fuse?

dsm10o0

No need. Thats how i wired my fog lights from my previous cars.

If you ever blow a parking light fuse, just put in 5a higher fuse.

Brunoboy

thanks nico.

jepherz

Staff member
Wow, did I just read what I think I did? First off, you don't just want to go adding extra load on factory wiring without knowing how much the load is increasing. Second, NEVER just swap in higher amperage fuses when not specified. Yes, it's only 5 Amps more based on your suggestion, but c'mon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

GSX_TC

Uh oh, so what should he do then? Because this might also answer my question about wiring up both of the JDM fogs to the factory Usdm wiring for the foglights. In my head I was thinking wiring up both H3's to each side, doubling the load though.

Brunoboy

Quoting jepherz:
Wow, did I just read what I think I did? First off, you don't just want to go adding extra load on factory wiring without knowing how much the load is increasing. Second, NEVER just swap in higher amperage fuses when not specified. Yes, it's only 5 Amps more based on your suggestion, but c'mon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I hvent touched it yet, so what's your idea on doing this ?

jepherz

Staff member
I'd have to look at a schematic to say for sure, but any idea if the foglights have their own relay or anything? If that's the case, you'd just want to hook the trigger of that relay to the same wire that triggers the parking lights and you'd be done. You'd just have to make sure that the trigger for the parking lights is separated from the turn signals/hazards, or you'd end up flashing your fogs with the parking lights. I'll see if I can find my schematics and look at it this week.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

This write up is kind of confusing ^.

GSX_TC

eh not really, i could do it. im getting pretty good at soldering anyways. but i wont do that till i get ahold of the JDM fogs and front bumper.

Barnes

Why not figure out the fog light wiring problem? That would be the proper way to fix it. Plus you won't be getting pulled over by cops when you have your fog lights on ALL THE TIME. (In certain states it is illegal to run fog lights in fair weather.)

GSX_TC

what fog light wiring problem?

curtis

Any lights over a corner light or brake light wattage need a relay. Period.

Never put in a larger fuse, a penny, a piece of gum wrapper, or a 22 long round either. Saw a old ford truck in the junkyard with 4 bullets in the fusebox. Yea people are that stupid.

Now if you want them on with a corner light unplug the factory plugs and add in a set of plugs from a junkyard set. I'd say most mitsubihi share the foglight plug style now wire in a relay or buy one of the foglight wire up kits from the local auto parts store. Now only thing left is the relays signal this is the juice/voltage/pos from the corner light, you need only one side. Just strip back a small area and solder in a wire and cover up with tape or cut and use heat shrink or just use one of those 3M splices that crimp down over two wires. Turn on corner lights, it turns those on as well as powers the 30 amp relay to send power to the fogs.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

^^^
I wanna fly this guy to cali to wire my JDM foglights up, sounds like a pro

Brunoboy

dude, it is Curtis lol, and yea it makes sense, I have been trying to figure out my dimmer/Fog problem, they worked when I got the car, now the fog doesnt work, and the dimmer is a hit or miss.

Brunoboy

I did the first part of the mod and nothing. I found one bulb to be burnt out but not sure about the other. Are the fogs on a one loop circuit where if one doesn't work the other won't either?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts