The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions on DSS rear axle bar upgrade?

LIV4PSI

I am thinking about buying a set, but I wanted some input regarding my particular situation. I am building the VR4 to drag race, and hopefully in the end it will be a full second faster than my Slowbaru. The only part I have ever broken on my STi was a rear axle during a launch. Since it broke at only 360whp, and I'm sure STi axles are stronger than DSM axles, I figure I will be breaking a few on the VR4.

My dilemma is I don't know how much stronger are the upgraded axle bars. Will they give me that warm, fuzzy feeling because I will no longer have to be concerned with breaking them, or will I still snap them and just end up breaking much more expensive parts?

CutlassJim

Why are you sure the Subaru axles are stronger?

My friend broke his rear axles in his 04 Evo running 11's and didn't break an axle in his 1G running 10's or his 2G running 9's.

LIV4PSI

The axles from my STi are noticeably larger and heavier. Also, it's a much more expensive and capable car from the factory.

Are 4 bolt axles actually stronger than stock EVO axles? I would find that hard to believe, maybe your friend was an isolated incident.

Barnes

How fast a time do you want to turn? What kinda WHP are you planning to put down?

4-bolt rear axles seem to withstand a LOT of horsepower as long as the car is put together correctly.

Also, just because an axle ''looks' stronger, does not mean it is strong. Or less prone to breaking for that matter.

LIV4PSI

I'm not overly focused on numbers, but let's say 450whp, and a 11.49. Those are my minimum goals, and Im more focused on ET than HP. I know stock axles can handle that, but I want a car that can stay together and handle years of abuse. I know reliability is a relative term, but I want it to be as solid as possible.

Basically, are the upgraded axle bars 10% stronger, or more like 50%

Last edited:

Barnes

As far as the actual strength difference, just call DSS.

However, at that power level, you are simply wasting your money. From what I've seen over the years, 4-bolt axles breaking is a rare occurance.

What kind of center differential do you have in your tranny?

LIV4PSI

The center diff will be welded. I've seen quite a few get broken at the Shootout over the years. But I don't know what power levels, launch rpm, etc of the cars that broke them.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

The shootout isn't a valid basis to say they break a lot, that's a once a year event. Those cars are seeing launches much more often than one weekend a year.

LIV4PSI

I wasn't saying they break alot, just that I have observed its a common occurrence at the Shootout.

I already have a spare set of stock 4 bolt axles. Maybe I should just hold onto them, sounds like it two sets would last awhile.

But it also sounds like if I did the bar upgrade, I would never have to worry about breaking an axle again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Barnes

IMO, since you already have a spare set of axles, just drive the car until your axles break. If they do, you have spare axles to get you up and going. At that time spend the $500 for the axle bar upgrdes.

EMX5636

You're more likely to break a T-case output shaft than 4-bolt rear axles on a launch. I know numerous people in the 9's or 10's on stock DSM Axles. Mine have withheld many 500awhp burnouts and launches without a hitch in a full weight car.

Just keep an extra set handy just in case, and drag on!

4thStroke

I've always had stock axles. I swapped a 4 bolt rear in when I went with my 16G on ethanol. The was launched a lot on this setup at 430whp/417ftlbs. The car saw further abuse at much higher power levels with 4 bolt axles and they have yet to be an issue.

A lot of it will depend on how you come out of the hole. You can still cut a decent 60' without side stepping the clutch. If you are on that cusp, go ahead and sidestep... they'll still probably hold up.

LIV4PSI

Thanks for all the relies. You guys talked me into giving the stock axles a chance. I will have no problem spending the money else were on 1501

turbofonz

I've honestly seen more STi's breaking axles than dsm's....

All in technique. I've still yet to break one.

Brianawd

I had more issues with Ujoints and tcase then I did with rear axles. I think I spit out 4-5 u-joints. 4 tcases and I think 3 axles. I also killed a 4bolt rear diff by ripping 6 teeth off the ring gear. I base all my carnage off how the power came on. Way to much HP and torque down low. braking drive train parts is all about where power comes in at

bmxr152

I have not broken any axles and have over 20 anti lag launches on my vr4 3 bolt rear with 180k mileage. Im running a holset setup at 30 psi and right around 460hp

Galantvr41062

I think the major factors to this are: vehical weight, OMG HP and TQ, and suspension/tires.

I know with my hot rod on the BFG comp T/A's at 18psi at the MAP proving grounds at BIR in 2011 on a cold morning produced some spin and a little hop in 1st gear but put enough power down with a stock out put shaft (to case), stock all aluminum T case, stock prop shaft, and stock rear 4 bolt axles to cut a 1.75 60' and a 9.45 @ 157mph, then with more track prep at the muscle car shoot out in 2012 and Hoosier QTP 9.5x26x15 I broke 7 rear axles in 4 runs.

So if you ask me the stock shafts are good to 2500lbs race weight, and 875awhp(dyno guess) for a few passes on a slick track, or 1 pass at a sticky track.

I think the shaft upgrade is a good idea, but of the 7 axles I broken it seemed after 3 runs the stub shaft into the rear end would brake vs the shaft, so idk.

LIV4PSI

I remember reading about the multiple axle failures on the moon taxi. It's interesting that it was the inner end and not the bar. The DSS website says the bars are weaker. 1000hp axles won't be in my budget any time soon. So out of all the 9 sec VR4s, CFT is the only one with axle upgrade I think.

I should of asked you guys before I bought my DSS driveshaft, I bet you would of talked me out of that as well

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned