The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wtf rear axle too short???

tsiboy

so a about a week ago i changed the rear end on the g-ride and removed the 4ws.
i swapped it for a 3bolt lsd rear. i bought some lsd rear axles installed everything and now i find that the driverside rear axle is popping out of place, it looks almost like it is too short. has anybody had any experience with this?? i thought i was done with the car and would be able to drive it now, but i guess i was wrong.

-alex

tsiboy

im going to try to replace the c-clip, and i guess go from there.

gtluke

sounds like a good start

tsiboy

any other input on this incase the clips are not the problem??

there are only 4 types of axles right???

3bolt non lsd
3bolt lsd
4bolt non lsd
4bolt lsd

auto and manual are the same correct???

gtluke

I don't think there are 4 bolt non-lsd's but I may be wrong. Auto/Manual is the same.

belize1334

Are you sure you don't have the left/right axles switched? I believe one is longer than the other on the LSD units.

tsiboy

are the clips something that is available at the parts store or do i have to go through the dealer or jnz

i went to autozone and as usuall they had no idea what i was talking about.

gtluke

My local parts store has a selection of clips, but its not a chain and they actually have good stuff and not just oil filters.
Dealer should have them though

CutlassJim

Quoting gtluke:
I don't think there are 4 bolt non-lsd's but I may be wrong. Auto/Manual is the same.

Cars with ABS don't have LSD so a 94 Talon with ABS will have a non-LSD 4-bolt.

H05TYL

Are you sure? plenty of JDM spec cars have abs and viscous lsd's.

mechanical 4bolt lsd's have different axles to viscous ones, will be the same as non-lsd 4bolt ones, assuming such exists.

dsmer06

Quoting CutlassJim:
Quoting gtluke:

Cars with ABS don't have LSD so a 94 Talon with ABS will have a non-LSD 4-bolt.

I thought they changed the abs computer on the 92 or 93 models so they could have both. My 93 parts car has abs, and I'm 90% sure it has a lsd.

gtluke

That was only true with 3 bolts, ABS 1GB talons all got LSD 4 bolts.
Come to think of it, I know that even Automatic 1GB's got LSD 4 bolts so I don't think there are any that are non-lsd

tsiboy

well i think i found the problem. dont know if this happened before or after i intalled the axle but the ds axle splines are worn at the end. so the diameter of the shaft at the end is smaller than the rest allowing the clip to slide out when enough force is applied. sad thing is i need a rear diff again since i found pieces of metal inside when i removed the axle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

gtluke

i'm sure someone will give you a 3 bolt diff and axle

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting tsiboy:
well i think i found the problem. dont know if this happened before or after i intalled the axle but the ds axle splines are worn at the end. so the diameter of the shaft at the end is smaller than the rest allowing the clip to slide out when enough force is applied. sad thing is i need a rear diff again since i found pieces of metal inside when i removed the axle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Yeah, I had that happen once. The clip messed up the splines on the axle shaft so I had to file the grooves back in to it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts