The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stronger axles while retaining 4WS?

Fourdoor

I know that you can just delete the 4WS system and upgrade to 4bolt rear end and axles from a 1G DSM (did that in late 90's on prior GVR-4). I was thinking about getting another GVR4, but I actually just won an auction for a 3000GT VR-4 Spyder. So, this is more of a "what if" question to see if anyone was able to do upgrades without losing the 4WS. One possibility I considered was seeing if the axle shaft itself could be replaced (between the existing CV joints) with a stronger one (from 4 bolt rear end, or aftermarket) rather than replacing the entire axle.

Later,

Keith

gvr4ever

The internet is void of information it once held. Pretty should you could get a 3Bolt LSD with AWS. As someone who recently got rid of AWS, I feel like it was more of a gimmick than something that was actually needed. Near the limit, it was my understanding that AWS could cause snap oversteer. Either way, I'm fine without it and I don't want it back. After all these years, it's just a failure point. I say, let her go.

raptorWagon

You can keep 4WS with a 4 bolt (after all, 90+ Evo Spec GVR4s had a 4 bolt and 4WS), you just need to utilize the stock gvr4 3 bolt housing. Swap the 4 bolt diff guts and everything into it. Mitsuturbo runs that exact setup and made a thread 13yrs ago on it. He's also resealed his 4ws in recent years, which negated mostly custom made seals to rebuild it as none of those bits are available either.

4WS 4 Bolt install with 4WS thread

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned