The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ongoing progress updates of #613/2000...

turbohf

IMG_20111203_180723.jpg

well i have had her for about 2 years now. and i dont post much here. figured i would post an update since i may have actually made some progress.

lets start around christmas last year? my sister and brother inlaw came to town. and i let them barrow the Galant as they had plans to go up snowboarding and my Honda's dont get parked outside (dont need parts or whole thing missing).... well i get a call the day before they are leaving saying its misfiring badly, and doesnt have that passing power it use to... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

after a looking over back at my place, it had no compression on 2 cylinders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif was 150 or 160 across when i got the car. so my long time DSM/EVO buddy and i are talking, come up with couple ideals. we agree its probably burnt valves. so quick pull head, reman/valves, headstuds/mls, etc... "or...ill sell you my 2.4L block..."

yup, motor is fucked. not rebuildable. go big, or go home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (maybe should note i wanted to do this before i even bought the VR4)

of course took longer than expected, spent more money that i wanted, etc.... no JSB though. did push her in/out the driveway more than i wanted though.

so here are some pics of my build:
IMG_20130131_180522.jpg

Cometic .051 MLS HG, oil feed line. EGR blockoff, new belt.

IMG_20130211_192233.jpg

brand new oil pan (mine was dented with a scary looking oil drain)... oh yeah, i work at Honda. we use this stuff for our oil pans/timing covers. works great.

IMG_20130211_192209.jpg

IMG_20130211_191701.jpg

IMG_20130211_191637.jpg

oh yeah. got the hookup for a couple members here for some parts. dont remember your names now, but thanks again! got a lightly ported head with aftermarket springs, ARP headstuds, 2.4L cam gears... probably some other stuff. got it all cleaned up in parts washer. head machined for a MLS gasket.

IMG_20130302_152004.jpg

IMG_20130302_152013.jpg

IMG_20130302_151943.jpg

IMG_20130302_144711.jpg

IMG_20130302_163106.jpg

G4CS block, Mitsu 100mm crank, Wiesco 8.8's, Eagle rods, balance shaft delete... pretty standard. new Clevite bearings to spec, rings gapped, everything looking perfect.

normally i build my own motors. but like i said, my buddy was planning on putting this in his car and changed his mind when he saw he could just sell it to me (then threw a stock 2.0 in his car). plus he actually spec'd out everything perfectly.

IMG_20130302_144704.jpg

well, just the block/rotating assy was done. still some work to be done.

didnt even bother pulling the head, just bought a new one, found a deal.
IMG_20130201_182349.jpg

mild porting

IMG_20130201_182359.jpg

Si Valves dual springs

IMG_20130201_182329.jpg

ARP's

IMG_20130302_192559.jpg

FP2 cams

IMG_20130302_192547.jpg

IMG_20130303_134603.jpg

yes, i know, water pump pulley. i do hate that pulley btw.

IMG_20130303_134553.jpg

bigblock ready to go in. EVO3 manifold w/oem shield, FP-Red turbo, some ceramic coated O2 housing/wg dump that i can never remember who make/made or write down, TiAL 38mm WG.

IMG_20130216_185832.jpg

oh yeah. that NASTY ass 2.0l coming out. damn. pretty sure it was leaking from everywhere?

IMG_20130310_134845.jpg

swapped the crushed stock bov for my extra TiAL 50mm. bought it for another project that didnt happen...mostly because to spent all that money on the Galant instead of my Civic LOL. i put the stock bov on my CRX... (ill stop there before i loose ya)

oh look, more parts
IMG_20130429_112625.jpg

for some reason i thought or maybe didnt? that the TB didnt need resealed. found other sh*t on STM i felt i needed too it looks like... and yes those are Mitsu filters sitting on my desk at Honda :p still got one there too.

found some Galants at my local you pulls, got some toys.
IMG_20131103_153733.jpg

one of my lenses was cracked. got a set of ambers. then got a set of clears a week or 2 later.

IMG_20131110_143317.jpg

yep, one of them was a 1993 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_20131110_143310.jpg

IMG_20131110_143251.jpg

IMG_20131110_143323.jpg

IMG_20131110_143333.jpg

IRC/Spearco 2-216 still hiding back there.

the CRX as mentioned before:
IMG_20130701_195424.jpg

IMG_20130701_195108.jpg

i have recently decided i dont need/want? this car, so i sold it to fund (or not take funds?) for the GVR4 and Civic...

Civic:
IMG_20130929_133718.jpg

IMG_20131026_194923.jpg

lol... so i had to dig to find this pic. seems that the car has rough paint, and i was lazy to put the moldings on. so i still havent taken a decent pic of the exterior...
yes, i do have more into the wheels than the rolling shell...

looks like i am out of pictures? i plan on making some small changes to the Galant over the winter/before spring. its currently running DSMlink v2.5, going to be upgrading to v3 for some more control. also have a friend that has some FIC 1450cc injectors for me, so probably do a E85 tune for next spring? would...will be getting this on the dyno also. really would like to see what kind of power she puts down (92oct or e85). be nice to find a 92 grill also.

Last edited:

turbohf

Quote:
Love that CRX!! Never see clean ones anymore

thanks. that was the plan. spent lots of time on her. tracking down clean parts for build. buying new OEM parts. finding parts to build her the way i wanted in general. lots of effort. probably lots of money. cool car, and build.
quick highlights:
1988 HF model (lightest)
forged 1.6 SOHC VTEC
MHI 14b @ 20psi...tapering to 17.
EVO8 injectors
bov off the Galant.
oh, and all that running on AEM EMS box lol.
Integra Type R seats
Spoon steering wheel
full coilovers
real Spring Hart CPF-G wheels.

made 247whp/205fttq

chassis is super clean, 100% rust free. oh and has ~315k+ miles on her. i have owned this CRX twice. bought it from the original owner back in 01. was my first real project car. first turbo project. first motor i swapped. sold it to a friend..maybe ill own it again LOL.

Quote:
Nice build, keep the updates coming.

thanks, im going to try to keep this updated.

turbohf

think im spending too much time on this forum...

think i got the next round of mods planned out. starting to look for JDM body parts. probably a wingless trunk lid. getting rid of all the chrome forsure. not sure if i want a 92 US or JDM grill.

more to come it looks like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

turbohf

ok, bought some stuff for the G.

IMG_20131124_003311.jpg

sent my v2.5 in to upgrade to v3. hope its worth it.

IMG_20131124_003453.jpg

tough install. think ill be useless the rest of the weekend...

right here should be a pic of a ECM MAF cable... but there is no cable. its backordered on ECM's site, so i ordered it from a retailer that showed in stock...yeah they dropship from ECM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

bought another boost gauge
IMG_20131124_004544.jpg

Turbosmart 30/30...

IMG_20131124_004609.jpg

bought a 4bar MAP to log boost also. oh yeah, but no cable to wire it in with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

IMG_20131124_004623.jpg

another valvecover gasket. put new one on when i did the swap, think its got a little leak. planning on pulling the valvecover to possibly shave it, but repaint it forsure. will post pics of how it turns out. just need to get off my lazy ass to do it. (its cold out)

thought i bought some more stuff... was for another upcoming project i think.

tomorrow ill probably throw the ECU back in, and see if i can get her fired off.

Last edited:

turbohf

sweet, doesnt work. wont connect. connected fine with v2.5 (same laptop, same car). reinstalled ecmlink and drivers from disc in tbe box. hate.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

strokin4dr

Make sure the ecu has the current firmware. Usually the problem. Search the dsmlink forums for how to set it up.

turbohf

wasnt given access to said forum.

i dont see firmware update on ECMLink's site... why would they ship me something 2 days ago with outdated firmware?

i have uninstalled and installed drivers a dozen times. reinstalled ECMLink software from disc, and website.

IMG_20131125_175854.jpg

why isnt my car running on AEM? oh yeah, cuz DSM Link is easier... right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

wtb: AEM box w/SD cable/sh*t?

sorry. its cold as balls outside and him hanging out in my car that wont run and spend too much money on. very frustrated.

oh, one thing i did notice is when the drivers for the cable install. it will popup with new hardware ECMLink cable. then pop up to the install thing. no matter what i do, it looks to be installing from C: not from the disc...?? then once is going threw that it will then call the cable "USB serial cable"

turbohf

figure i throw a little update out there....

battery went dead from me sitting in it forever with the key/dome light on messing with this. threw the jumper cables on it (hooked to the Civic) for a long ass time while i messed with it this morning.

I GOT IT TO CONNECT... just long enough to change a couple things, think i uploaded, then soon as i turned the key it dropped connection... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

then spent another 30mins or so trying to get it to connect again, it didnt. then left for thanksgiving lunch/dinner.

so i know it works... think that pisses me off more though. the light will blink on the USB cable/box when trying to connect.

still doesnt run. thinking about it i didnt change injector size in the tune. kinda figured the little bit of info that was provided they would have shipped it having it setup for though? and/or shipped with my previous setup flashed to it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbohf

btw, i gave up on that thing last week... and will be posting a bunch of stuff forsale later (couple ECUs, MAFT, Link w/cable, some other stuff).

IMG_20131204_182547.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

made myself a little harness. hope it works. used RRE's AEM page, and little vfaq.
IMG_20131204_195516.jpg

didnt get a chance to test it, as it is COLD outside. she was frosted over when i got home, so didnt bother to go outside hour or so later. seemed pretty straight forward.

still havent decided what map sensor im going to use. i have both 3 and 4 bar GM MAP's.

hopefully i get out there tomorrow after work to give this a shot. but suppose to be colder out...

turbohf

just keep buying stuff...
IMG_20131211_092254.jpg

2g knock sensor for the AEM box.

just need some more time/light to work in her... be awesome of it wasn't freezing out too. probably going to start raining instead now lol.

you can hit me up on the link. gonna probably see if one of my buddies is interested first.

turbohf

thanks.

so did some trouble shooting this morning. AEM box has no spark. plugged in stock ecu and instantly wanted to startup (but with no maf and 1000's its not hapoening lol). so...f***.

tried to get her running on stock ecu + maft. but she didn't seem to like that much. no matter the settings from a base point she just starts to lean out. the. the check engine light comes on... but I did get her warmed up and fresh coolant bled in...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

snailspool

Switch the coil outputs, its possible a coil driver went out. A DSM/GVR4 has two unused spark drivers on the board, as its a wasted spark system. Thats what happened with mine, and why i had the whole mainboard replaced ( I had the luxury of affording the car to be down, so i wanted it done right). It may get you by. AEM tech support may be of some help as well. Good luck, and mine is still for sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbohf

yeah. im waiting for response from a couple people. then ill post up on the AEM forum. but here is something odd...

hey looky...
IMG_20131214_160111.jpg

thats a 30-1010 i bought for the Civic. this is one looks brand new and has everything. new ecu plug/pin kit, velcro, cable was new in package (who uses serial cables anyway?...oh, me). even the instruction manual. all useless i know.

after giving up on a couple more tries for the GVR4 this morning, i wondered over to the Civic to see what chaos i had inflicted on myself.... NO SPARK!!! wtf?

i even tried to load a straight up stock base calibration, with no luck.

so whats the odds i have 2 broken AEM boxes in my possession? im sure its something im overlooking or doing wrong? but idk. i have used an AEM box before on my CRX, and had no issues other than a deep learning curve.

oh, i would have opened the GVR4 box last night as it has been opened before, but i cant find an allen key to fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

the GVR4 box was on a car with a COP/MSD ignition box setup. that require internal mods? i remember something about the Honda guys having to throw some switches inside to get it working right?... which brings up a solid point for the Civic box. he said it was off a 700hp B16. thats a small motor with a lot of power, he was probably COP. waiting for his email response.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

snailspool

No internal mods needed for COP on a 4g63. The drivers in the ECU tell the coil when to fire, whether its COP or a wasted spark setup. No signal, no spark.

turbohf

IMG_20131220_065704.jpg

I want my Galant... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned