The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#613/2000 build thread... now prepping to run 10's and/or sell?

turbohf

that is awesome he does that. i unfortunately never served. i will probably be watching for partouts on FB/ECMlink/wherever for a deal. im not excited at all about pulling the transmission. so probably after winter. plus im more focused on the Nova at the moment. want that running/driving for spring time. its only been on the stands for about a year now. for a simple front end suspension swap, that tuned into a LSx swap, then fuckit, it needs a turbo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

i think i have given up the fight of the drive ability of the clutch. im working 8miles from my house. all back roads.

JamesFoster

Well, if you do sell it tell me first... Sure is a nice im+tb combo

turbohf

you want another Galant? for the right price I'll sell it whenever. just sits in front of my garage, waiting... lol.

slugsgomoo

transmission is an easy peasy job even without a lift. Just use the doc polish method of booting it on and presto change-o, it's a short afternoon, even with a couple beers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

turbohf

so i worked on her yesterday/today some.

~i cut and welded on the upper charge pipe again. turned out pretty good. and of course i would run out of welding gas on about the last inch of welding, and an hour before the welding supply closed.
~i swapped the 'new' mystery map sensor (dont remember if it was a 3 or 4 bar map, didnt work well as either) with a new 3bar map. works MINT. like reads -.01hg with key on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
~i hooked up the vacuum hose to the new map.... worked ran a shitton better like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

then i messed around with it some trying to get it to run/idle right. it fired off great. idled like 2700rpms. turned the idle screw all the way in and idled 1700ish. once it was warmed up it started to idle surge, aka piss me the F off... done.

PICS! because really, did you read my ramblings? lol.
IMG_20161122_152533_zpssbofsmh5.jpg

IMG_20161122_152548_zpsedoywe2k.jpg

IMG_20161122_152607_zpsdiwr8ogq.jpg

rebuilt pipe
IMG_20161122_152624_zpslr2mo2rt.jpg

nasty T4/T67

and yes, PINE NEEDLES!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

diambo4life

Keep at it man. I have been there where you fall out of love of the car but I find myself back at it after letting it sit for a couple months. I have a daily that is very lightly modded so it keeps me occupied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

turbohf

i usually get really pumped, spend $1-3k on her, drive her for a month or 3. then something goes wrong, or loose interest and it sits for a month or 6.

got some motivation from buddy. going to mess with idle tomorrow. look for oil leak, then drop the front crossmember to get to oil leak... pretty sure its the oil drain. so some more hondabond, redloctite, new drain hose... then some tuning till there is no more clutch. buddy thinks he may have a 2900 ACT. hopefully he has it, hooks me up, plus a new street disc, fidanza rebuild, 25-30ish psi = win.

if im back in love. then ill have my work do a full detail (i work at a dealership), maybe some better/new stereo equipment and drive.... run a 11.00et this spring, get pissed and sell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif lol

stay tuned! likely to change my mind daily LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

thecman02

Don't sell her. I just sold my girl. Nothing but regret. :-(

turbohf

she just sits, and i spend money. last time it was like 3k to get her out of jail...

so the other day...friday? anyway i pulled the front crossmemeber at the advice of a friend. wow, wasnt hard at all, and had a great view of all the underside of the turbo. (not sure why i havent done that before to get under there) could reach damn near everything too. thought that the oil line may have been rubbing and had been cut, it was rubbing a little, replaced it anyway. shouldnt rub anymore either. gave all the oil pan bolts i could reach a good snugging. i really dont see where it was leaking from. started the engine and it ran for 20mins or so till it got to about 205*. and i *think* it was leaking from one of the turbo oil drain bolts. think i fixed that. want to top off with oil and check it running on level surface.

i have a list but if i remember:
wire fans to ecu
hvac vents need replaced
NEEDS TUNED!
noise from RF i would like to find
some detail/paint touchups
oh, and i bought some black molding to replace chrome crap all way around the car. i ripped the one out the bumper, made a mess, bought eraser wheel to remove the mess. should be time consuming and fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

turbohf

well. in keeping with my recent updates that seeming have not much to do with selling or running 10s like title suggests...

i did a bunch of research, loaded all the pages to the tablet. went to work on the Galant.
~figured out wtf i had done to the wiring to the fans, removed rocker switch in cabin
~ran new wire to ECU to ground trigger relay for fans
~got pissed as it seems i dont have pin 53 egr? my notes where for egr, so had to track down and use the fps... hope/think im looking at these pinouts correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
~re-wired wideband into ECU. was on baro before. thats now MAP for SD conversion. so now its on O2.
~got into ECMLink, swapped O2 front to WB, simulated narrowband off that. done? i think.
~also reset TPS, and made sure idle switch was off
~FPS to Fan control.... well sh*t. i fought with this for way too long. couldnt find my answer, well, seemed that what i was looking for should be right in front of me. it wasnt. turns out computers arent my thing. and firmware and software versions are not the same (i knew that), and i was looking in the wrong spot for firmware? anyway. flash new firmware = win. fans turn on at 185* and off at 176-180ish it seems? whatever. also set them to turn off on higher boost/tps/rpm. (20/50/3500 if it matters, open to suggestions)
~and may have narrowed down idle issue. first by plugging in the idle valve LOL. then some other small stuff. we will see. think i needs some battery offset work. doesnt like electrical loads on. also might have battery or something issue. it stone shut off like 2 times, showing 8.5v. after a couple key cycles/jumper cables it would fire off. i cleaned the sh*t out of all the battery terminals (inside/out, top/bottom). see if that works. fired right off without jump after that. oh when running fine it shows 14.2-14.5v consistent.

and while i was messing with all that, taking breaks to keep from getting pissed off too much, or just waiting for her to warm up for fans to cycle and see if she would start leaking any oil, etc.

IMG_20161129_154518_zpsleinre0x.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif making a mess. ripped out the chrome strip. left most all the foam. then take eraser (Astro wheel to be specific) in the drill and have fun. i got most the front bumper done i think. but it was getting dark/cold, have to verify in the light.
also have some new black moldings around here somewhere, ill try to get a pic/partnumber for anyone else. i have only been waiting to do this for like 5years? now.

so. starts, runs, idles (until it has a load on it), and doesnt leak oil. id say today is a win /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

slugsgomoo

I want to see it when the chrome strip is gone... it's been something i've wanted to do basically since I bought the car... hate chrome so much...

turbohf

someone just posted a pic with a green vr4 with black moldings in it. think it was the what have you done to your vr4 today thread. one with the Volvo wheels.

also turbowop has black ones in his also.

wait, or you just want to see it molding less? odd, could work.

slugsgomoo

well, no i'd like to go black i think. I'm not sure anyone has done that with a KG car though?

I think with no molding will look funny

edit: I am dumb, looks like the car with volvo wheels is actually KG... 1000% better than chrome IMO.

Last edited:

badams

Agreed, the black looks good with the volvo and the stock wheels. For as cheap as the strip material is, it's well worth the change.

turbohf

so, its suppose to snow tonight. so i figured i would test her out real quick before the moment of truth. warmed up a bit, little check threw of mechanicals. drove to get some gas, as im about out of the 3+ month old sh*t thats been in there. put a couple gallons in, gave her another jumpstart (with spare Nova battery, i really need a jump box for christmas, and probably a couple battery tenders lol). and drove back home.

couple things:
still idle surges with an idle thats little high
yeah, little Honda 151 battery is done. ill have to swing by and get a new one.
big ass difference between driving my Silverado and the Galant lol.
tune seems fine/driveable. just tipped in a little. only 2miles to gas station.

idle is pissing me off. like ~> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif seriously.

transparentdsm

you know i had the same issue with my JMF and S90, the car wouldn't go lower then 1000-1050 RPMs and the throttle plate was like completely closed. then from time to time it would random idle surge for no reason. like not do it at all that day(3-5 hours of driving) then i come to a stop and it starts to do it. I personally think that had something to do with my ISC wiring possibly going bad, maybe a cracked wire.

turbohf

yeah. im going to try to mess with it some more this weekend. maybe take it over to buddies place for another set of eyes.

bought a new battery today threw work. deals. also drove it to work. as the 2wd silverado with sh*t ass old nearly bald tires wouldnt do well in even little bit of snow we got. Galant obviously took it like a champ, even sticking to my usual backroad drive. AFR's looked driveable the whole way. tipped in a couple times, looked ok. lit all 4 on some compact snow in 1-2...you know to make sure everything is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

so the little Honda group 151R battery lasted 5 years of abuse at the hands of me, and the galant. letting it sit for long periods, killing it a couple times. dead alternator, etc. not bad for a battery have the size of the OE one that should be there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned