The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Leak Woes

Chad989of2000

141 has been pissing a fair amount of oil lately so I finally had some time to start looking her over. There's a good oil coating on the front and passenger side of the block. I also found some drops around the crescent area of the valve cover and on the cam angle sensor (name?) The engine is a rebuilt one and only has about 3500 miles on it. Looks like I'm gonna do a valve cover gasket operation. I also found oil on top of the valve cover (around the plugs) but I believe that is due to a leaky oil cap...I will of course be checking the valve cover for cracks when I have it off. Is there anything else I should be inspecting?

Image of oil drop on cam angle (timing) sensor....

Cam angle sensor is the correct term as far as I know.

The pooling in the valve cover by the spark plug holes is usually due to old crusty oil cap gasket. Pick up a new one, it should cure that leak.

As for your other leak. Wipe everything down as best you can in that area so that you can see metal and parts clean and then start the car and see if you can witness oil leaking. Thats what I would do. If you don't see oil from it idling, take a short trip around the block and boost a couple times. Could be from a number of things in that area but mostly vc gasket or maybe the cam angle sensor rubber o ring.

While you are in there I would remove the upper timing cover and make sure there is no oil on your tbelt. Also, check your oil, make sure it isn't low if you are losing that much. You don't want to damage bearings.

Chad989of2000

Just reinstalled the fuel injectors and got around to running the car for a bit. No leaking while running, but when I cut the car off I saw a little oil starting to form around the crescent metal piece that's part of the valve cover gasket area. I also noticed no oil on the t belt so that's always a good thing. Needless to say, it looks like I'll be doing the valve cover gasket this weekend complete with spark plug gaskets, and that metal crescent piece. Always something to do.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned