The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

O2 sensor ?

seizer

well they no longer have a mitsu dealer here in CO.springs i need a new o2 sensor is there anything wrong with gettin one from like autozone or another place like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

no, Bosch o2 sensors are very good. They are what i always buy from autozone and have never had a problem. Just make sure u buy the one that has the harness on it, dont buy the cheap one where u have to cut and wire up yourself

turbowop

I just installed a Bosch O2 sensor on 503 ten minutes ago. Seems to be working just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I got a Denso o2 from here right before I sold the car.

toybreaker

iconoclast
One of the best ways to "finish" this job, regardless of which o2 you use is to log it's output when you're done. (Be sure to do this with the engine warm, and after the car has been driven some distance.)

That will verify that the entire feedback system is operating correctly.

The o2 is a big part of the ecu's closed loop operating strategy, but it's not the only place where closed loop fuel control can go awry.

Many other factors will come into play when the ecu tries to close the loop, and if the engine coolant temp, or other input to the ecu is out of range, you'll never see the o2 cycle. This can lead to much frustration, especially if you "fixate" on the o2 as the problem.

In addition, fuel pressure and boost/vacuum leaks will also affect how the o2 reads, so it's best to consider the whole system when troubleshooting a potential issue with o2, and to verify it's correct operation with a logger after a sensor replacement.

Keydiver has given excellent advice in many troubleshooting threads here on the board using fuel trims as a "tell".

Ensuring the feedback system is operating correctly will make troubleshooting other issues easier, and much more accurate and efficient.

I've seen several brand "new" sensors dead right out of the box (Never Ever Worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ) maybe they were dropped during shipping, maybe they were made on a monday, who knows? The inportant thing is to verify it works in your car.

When installing the new unit, please don't overtighten it.

They usually come out pretty hard, but that's because they've been in there a long time. A little pb blaster or other penetrant may make the removal easier, but any rate, you don't have to put it in near as hard as it was to remove.

Good luck, and post back how this job went for you. Many people search the board, and it's good to have closure on these types of threads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

seizer

i havent just yet got the o2 but i will repost the outcome when i get it put on.. thank you toybreaker and the rest of yall

mikus

near-topic - I've had fine luck with universal (ie splice-in) Bosch, just need to make sure you do a tidy job connecting (solder if appropriate, heatshrink tubing every time) and be sure wire lengths are equal to OEM so as to not introduce resistance.

For this car it's not a huge $$ variance, but on some cars (Eg my Volvo) it's like $100 more for one with a plastic $0.50 harness connector.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned