The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not a VR4 owner, but close enough!

James

I'm new in your 4door town, but not new to the 4g63 world that your town resides in. My names James and I'm here to ask stupid questions. I come from dsmpurity with the same username. Onto the cold hard facts.

I recently bought a 1990 galant GSX with a complete swap from a 1g eclipse GSX. The car is a mutt, it has some galant GSX parts, some vr4 parts and some DSM parts. So the car is pretty much a VR4, without the awesome #xxxx plate. Everything was rebuilt 20k miles ago and it has the tried and true 14b pushing a weak 9lbs.

Here's what I know his been done before I bought it.

Poly mounts
EBay bov
Hard uicp
Straight pipe exhaust into a lame magnaflow muffler
6puck clutch setup (previous owner didn't know brand)
No name coils in the back / 1g suspension in the front.
Big brake upgrade.
Vr4 front bumper and side moldings.

On to the pictures, caution, their lame phone pics.

dc454282.jpg

fd2daef5.jpg

0eaee943.jpg

So now that that's over. Let's get down to business. The steering rack need to be replaced. That's fine I can replace it myself. Where my problem comes in is when I'm looking at the parts, and the AWD rack is twice as much money as the FWD rack.

My question of the day is WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? Can I save $150 and use a FWD galant steering rack in my awd galant?

marvinmadman

Yes, FWD rack should bolt right in. Us VR4 owners do the FWD rack swap and have to eliminate the 4WS lines, but you shouldn't have any of that.

Just get a rack from a DSM that was a Manual trans car. They should be easy to come by used, and have the better ratio (compaered to the auto cars).

James

Quoting marvinmadman:
Yes, FWD rack should bolt right in. Us VR4 owners do the FWD rack swap and have to eliminate the 4WS lines, but you shouldn't have any of that.

Ok just so were clear, I'm going to go order my new FWD rack and pinion, then it's going to bolt right up onto my AWD galant just fine.

GSX_TC

Just get a 1g 90-94 DSM rack man, it will be cheaper and easier to obtain.

James

That's not what I'm asking. I know they are cheaper. I need solic confirmation on awd vs fwd racks, now DSM vs galant racks.

jmorri15

Yes any 1g turbo rack will work in our cars. autos have a slower set of gears but all will bolt right up.
oh and on a side note
when removing the rack push it all the way to the passenger side, drop the drivers side tie rod down and then the rack pulls right out. you'll need to remove some of the bracing but it is really really worth it. I just did it all last week.

James

I think we're goin to have a world record of "people who misunderstand the question" in here.

Please read: I am aware that the racks from a 1g DSM will bolt in.

Also please read: what I was asking is goes it make a difference if it's AWD or FWD.

Either way the point is moot. I have a FWD rack sitting in my garage waiting for Sunday. If it doesn't work I'll take it back and get the AWD rack.

jmorri15

as i said ANY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif 1g turbo car. gst or gsx.

Last edited:

James

Thank you. Ill have some pics Sunday I hope. After I get her all installed and cleaned up.

ScreaminE

Very nice mutt! On my old 1g AWD I tried to count up how many cars had donated parts to help my build and lost count around 25 or so.

DR1665

Wow. DSMpurity. Haven't heard that name in a while. If any of the old school guys are still around, tell the The Hazer said what's up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned