The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

noob wastegate question

chrisb33

ive always used an internal wg for simplicities sake but now with a bigger turbo, i decided to use a hotside for an external wg set up. my questions are:

1. what's the difference between a v-band and a two bolt?
2. for the spring rates, what are they for? minimum hold or maximum hold? i want to be able to boost upto 30 psi. what spring rate should i get

this is what im looking at to buy:

click

btw, ive been searching all over here and the tuners but didnt get much answer on question #1.

TIA

chris b

turbowop

The wastegate in your link uses a two-bolt flange, hence "two bolt". V-bands are a clamp that go around a flange on items you're trying to connect together. Same way the turbine housing is held on to the center section of a Mitsubishi turbo like the 16g.
For some reason those wastegates in your link associate "v-band" with the way the top hat that covers the spring is held on, compared to the bolts that hold the others on. If I were you, I'd look into something better quality like Tial.

Spring rates are rated for minimum boost. If you have a 15psi spring, that is the least you can run. Add a boost controller for more boost. I use a 15psi spring in my Tial 44mm wastegate and have no problems holding 30psi.

Last edited:

chrisb33

thanks. it makes it a bit clearer now. my buddy at the tuners recommended this brand and swears by it.

so please correct me if im wrong, if i want an external wastegate to fit into this and then have an 02 dump set up...and want to boost upto 30 psi, i get a 15psi spring and a 38mm wg? i read in some article that if you have a big turbo and you want to boost high, get a smaller wg. if you have a big turbo and want to boost low, get a bigger wg. is that correct?

also, is it true that if i get a lower spring rate, then i can only up the boost by 1.5x? or does it depend on your boost controller? let's say i get a 8psi spring can i turn up the boost via mbc to 30 psi? or would that spring just give me a spike at 30 psi and then not hold thus tapers down the boost lower and lower?

Last edited:

1qkfwd

To anwser your first question, the v-band will clamp down evenly around the base of the wastegate. The two bolt will clamp down on the outer edges thus leaving a chance of blowing out the gasket in the center. It doesn't happen all the time but there is that chance. I'm sure if you run a bigger turbo with a smaller wastegate, it would seem there's a chance of boost spiking. You can almost compare that to say a 16g with 3" exhaust and a stock size flapper valve. The normal fix here is to run a bigger flapper. On the spring choice, don't quote me on this but I believe that you need a spring that's half of the max boost you choose to run. Running to small of a spring could lead to all that exhaust pressure blowing the spring open to early and not being able to hit a higher boost level.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned