The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

O2 (wideband) with wastegate placement

JNR

I will be using an external wastegate that I was planning on re-routing back to my exhaust, eventually. I was thinking of doing this about where the DP bend is...

However, the bung for a wideband O2 sensor would be before joining the exhaust back in...I noticed the factory O2 housing (EVO 3, fwiw) has the O2 sensor placed to where the WG gases do not go past this; that is the 'regular' O2.

So, the question(s) is: On a WB O2 sensor, would it make any difference if the WG gasses do not pass this sensor and/or what does the O2 sensor (WB) read anyhow (percentage only); is there any advantage running it by there, for tuning and such?

Thanks,

John R.

The spot you're talking about is really too close to the turbo for a wideband o2. It needs to be installed past that, about 18" (not more) from the turbo. Weather or not this sensor sees wastegate bypass gasses should not matter one bit.

JNR

Yeah, I will be using a 'regular' O2 at/near the stock location on the housing and the WB O2 bung is installed on the downpipe, at around 12" below the flange, which would put it ~18" from the turbo outlet...I was just wondering if it makes a difference whether or not my wastegate gasses pass by this WB; sounds like it doesn't then...

Polish

They are still the same exhaust gases. Passing through the wastegate hole is not going to affect them.

JNR

'tis true, as it does not detect teh 'volume' of flow and I couldn't see how the % would change, provided there are no leaks. I wanted to verify that this is all it read and wasn't really different than a 'regular' O2 in that respect...Splittin' hairs, ya know /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/crazy.gif

Rausch

+1 it just percentages/ppm. if only 10% of teh exhaust gases passed the WB , it wouyld still function correctly......intheory anyways. so yeah, no worries...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts