The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 1837/2000

Brett Adams' Galant VR-4

GSX_TC

What scaring me is how your saying +30 but EVO X wheels are 8.5 wide and +38. So do you think that at 8.0 wide and +30 offset will clear the EVO X calipers without sticking out too far?

slugsgomoo

you could probably go look at evolutionM.net at the EVOX forum because there are a billion threads about wheel fitment there, and that would definitely include caliper clearance.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting turbowop:
Socal

Which place? I have some wheels about to get redone in socal too.

Evo X can run lower offsets than the vr4. Abs the wheel was basically designed to clear those brake calipers. And they aren't 8.5

Last edited by a moderator:

89Patches

Negro your are wrong stock X wheels are 8.5" width. (If that's what your referring too)

On my car I run 17x8.5 +30mm offset rears sit flush with the quarter and the fronts poke just a little bit (Maybe 1/4" or less). This is with 255/40/17 tires as well with 1.5° of camber up front and 1.0° in the rear.

Jesus_Negros

Hmm Guess I was mic checked.

GSTwithPSI

We could sit here and guess what offset will work all day long, but each wheel is designed differently. One +30 8.5" wide wheel might fit, where another may not. Some wheel manufactures actually vary spoke design to change offset, where others just vary mounting pad thickness. You'll probably be anywhere from +30 to +40 if I had to guess. But, guessing is pretty dumb when you can mock up the calipers and take some measurements and know for sure what wheels will work, and what wheels won't.

Like I said Mike; mount the calipers, take some measurements and THEN buy a set of wheels. Measure twice, buy once.

...Or buy the wrong wheels on a hunch because some guy on whatever forum said they would fit...and then buy spacers...and then pay someone to install them...and then hope you don't have clearance issues.

The right option seems pretty apparent here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Jesus_Negros

Quoting turbowop:
Wheelflip.

I am not going with them. Just from the simple fact that I know 3 or 4 people who have had horrible issues with them. Hard to contact Alex at times, incomplete orders/work/parts/ or just overall doing things incorrectly and taking forever to correct the issues. Just letting you know.

Oh and all of this was in the year 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

coyotes

I think it looks better raised up a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif VR4s to me don't look so great when really low. Just a little bit, that's perfect.

GSTwithPSI

Well, rolled about 4k on the new motor, so I threw in the Evo 560s, bumped the boost to about 17 psi and tweaked the tune a bit. I can't do too much because I'm still waiting on the LC-1 to get here later this week. Even with a preliminary tune though, I'm really happy with the nice smooth power the car is making. I've been playing with the ECMlink boost control also, and it's really sweet. I want to start tweaking fuel and the higher MAF ranges, but I'll need a WB before I do. I also need to swap in my 2G MAF. There's still a bit of knock in the pull, but I'm confident I can get rid of once I have a WB to go off of. Here's a 3rd gear pull on 93 pump.

She rips pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Log

GSTwithPSI

A lot has happened since I last posted. DD'd it plenty, added a few more mods, took it to the track, blew up the ECU, and all kinds of other stuff.

I sent the ECU out to ECMtuning to get repaired. I got it back today, along with a few other upgrades and parts I'm going to try and install this weekend. First on this list is a new to me revised ISC, since the old one fried my ECU. Then, I'll finally be upgrading the stock GVR4 MAF with a Evo 8 unit. I also have a GM 3 bar MAP sensor to install, so I can quit guessing at boost levels while logging. If all goes as planned, I should have everything installed this weekend, and hopefully get the car up and running again.
WP_001809.jpg

I think my winter project is going to be dropping the rear subframe to recondition or replace it. I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on a complete DSM rear subframe; subframe, 4 bolt diff, axles, and all...But I haven't found one yet. It would be nice to do a 1 for 1 swap and delete the 4WS. While I have the subframe down, I'm planning to strip the undercarriage, and rust proof the entire underbody. It's the only area on the whole car I haven't rust proofed yet. The pinch welds definitely need to be straightened out, and need a fresh coat of paint as well.

At some point over the winter, I'm going to pull the trans again too, and fix the squeaky TOB. The TOB still squeaks intermittently with the clutch pedal released. It pisses me off too, because it was a brand new OEM Mitsu TOB. I'll probably shim the pivot ball while I'm in there. I'm also trying to decide if I really want to keep the welded diff. The car really sucks ass to DD with the welded diff, but it performed so well at the track that now I'm torn on whether to keep it or not.

It's been weird having running VR4 for almost 6 months. I think it's past due to be JSB again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

ghostinthevr4

You have a great car I was contemplating on buying it once I seen it for sale. When I seen the car in person at MOD I was amazed by it, looks like your doing some nice mods to it keep up the good work.

It's a good thing you didn't sell the rims they where meant for that car.

GSX_TC

Happy birthday Brett!

EHmotorsports

Happy B day and the car is looking great Brett:)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned