The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 1837/2000

Brett Adams' Galant VR-4

GSTwithPSI

I got my spacers a while ago, but was waiting for a new wheel bearing and seals to come in the mail. I did the driver's side before the Shootout, so figured I might as well replace the passenger side too while I had the hub off the car.

I threw the spacers on and took the car for a drive. Even at 80 mph it felt nice and smooth, with no vibrations. The 3KGT brakes feel great, and the car's overall stance looks pretty good too. I want to bring the ride height up a bit, but other than that I happy with it. Good enough until I can get a set of wheels that fit better.

I should be all set to make the 2hr trip to East Coast MOD in NJ next weekend. I hope to see some of you guys there.

Here's what Mark was talking about in regard to the lug studs being different lengths.
(From Left to right: Extended rear stud, extended front stud, stock front stud, stock rear stud)
WP_001702.jpg

Rears
WP_001705.jpg

Fronts
WP_001714.jpg

WP_001711.jpg

89Patches

Yay! you took my advice and went with extended wheel studs and a nice set of spacers! Ya baller now brah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, thanks Canada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did the rears just like you said, just pulled the calipers and banged the studs out.

The fronts had to come apart because of the ABS ring. I could have done them the same as the rears if it weren't for that. To be honest, I don't love the spacers. I'd rather swap in a set of wheels that fit the car better. But, this gets the job done for the time being. Thanks for the advice.

GSTwithPSI

I got a few crappy cell phone pics of the G in its natural habitat...grocery gettin. I'm loving the new brakes and the wider stance. I can't believe how much better the car looks now that all four corners are flush.

WP_001715.jpg

WP_001716.jpg

citymunky

Are you still planning on going 5 lug?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting BENE38A:
It definately sits nicer man, I like the grill you put in as well

Thanks, man! I will get some better pictures up eventually. The cell phone pics don't really showcase the wider stance very well.

Quoting citymunky:
Are you still planning on going 5 lug?

Eh, IDK City. I just jumped through hoops to space out the wheels to clear my brakes. I will go 5 lug eventually, but probably not anytime in the near future. I pretty much have all the parts to do the swap, but there's no real reason to swap over currently.

My winter project is going to be dropping the rear subframe to recondition it. I'll seal the underside of the car as well, which is pretty much the only thing I haven't rust proofed. I may swap to 5 lug then if I can get rid of my wheels and find a new set.

Last edited:

citymunky

I been eyeballing them BBS's for awhile, it's just that sh*t keeps popping up that I have to spend money on. When I get close to your asking price I'll will be in contact.

GSTwithPSI

Hey, Richard. I ended up going with a set of Ichiba V1 spacers. 10mm front, and 15mm rear. They come with the extended lug studs, which I installed front and rear. As far lugs, I have a set of open ended Muteki SR48 lug nuts installed.

I've put a few hundred miles on the car with the spacers installed, and honestly I can't even tell they are there. I was a little worried about them causing vibrations, but, so far so good. The only thing I've done since I installed the spacers was retorque the lugs.

My brakes fit, and the car's stance looks much better now as well. I'm really happy with them overall.

Jesus_Negros

Still a turd tho.

GSX_TC

Lookin good Brett! What width and offset are those bbs's? I'm still in the process of doing my brake upgrade too.

GSTwithPSI

Mike, my wheels are +39. So, with the spacers they would be +29 front, and +24 rear.

You'll need a lower offset then most guys typically run on the Galant. Since you will be buying new wheels, I'd recommend getting the right wheels, rather than relying on spacers. Buying the correct wheel is definitely the better option of the two. I'd say you would probably be safe with something around +30 or lower. Just keep in mind, the lower you go, the more negative camber and fender clearancing will be required. That's why it's important to find that sweet spot where the wheels just clear the calipers. Spoke design is a big factor too. I saw you mentioned TE37's or Work Meister S1s, both of which would be good designs for clearing big brakes IMO.

It doesn't look like the Evo calipers you have would protrude out nearly as much as the 3KGT calipers I have. If I were you, I'd mock them up and take some measurements just to be sure what offset I needed. You definitely don't want to buy wheels, and then add spacers because you guessed. Make sense?

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Still a turd tho.

Truth. Someone very dear to me once called it a "rust bucket" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

And Brett's wheels are 7" width. So his +39 won't stick out as far as an 8" wheel with the same offset. Just keep that in mind. With an 8" wheel, if you go below +30 you'll have to start getting a bit crazy with camber or stretch a narrower tire a tad.

GSTwithPSI

Exactly, Mark. If you compare how my wheels look to yours, there's a substantial difference in stance and lip width. No doubt, the 8" wheel looks much better. How is the brake clearance on your car? Those Wilwood calipers must be fairly slim. I'm assuming you have a bit of wiggle room, as you mentioned you'll be shaving the mounting pads on your wheels and reverse mounting the the barrels.

I'm definitely curious to see how that will look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

turbowop

I have tons of room behind the spokes to clear larger calipers. Reverse mounting the faces will add like +12 offset, then removing my spacers and a 5mm shave should give me back 10mm total. So my spokes will be that much closer to the caliper still with more room to spare. It will retain the same stance but with no spacers and with more lip. Hopefully it works out. I get worried shipping such expensive wheels somewhere to have custom work done that might not work out like I hope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned