The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New here, and to the vr4... couple of question

Long story short, I've wanted a gvr4 for a long time (6/7 years), and my live-in girlfriend at the time was firmly opposed to it. We split up 2 weeks ago, so what's the first thing I do?

PROJECT CAR!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ewmSyru.jpg

(1991 gvr4)

Anyway, it's old and tired and needs quite a few things fixed (shifter bushings, paint has seen better days, sunroof leaks, etc, normal stuff for a 25ish year old car). But the problem i'm having is the 4ws lines are leaking. I've already read the 'how to swap in the 4 bolt rear end and delete 4ws' thread, but my question is, what year dsm did that come from? does it have to be the one from the second gen? Also, has anyone found a good source online to get ahold of one, rather than picking through junkyards? (I've spoken to the only local junkyard, and they only had a fwd talon...).

Any help would be appreciated, and I apologize for my long windedness lol. Just excited to finally have a vr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

Must be a 91-94 eclipse/talon/laserAWD model. 90 was non lsd I believe, or 3 bolt lsd. One of the two. You'll need the differential, the axles, and the receiving cups that attach to the rear wheel spindles.

Alright, thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. Guess it must have been common knowledge in the dsm community or something. Just never saw it mentioned before.

And yea, cars>girls....at least when they try to tell you what cars you can/cannot drive lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
92-94 for a 4 bolt.

3 bolt LSD available in the earlier years (which you could also use if desired).

Quoting prove_it:
Must be a 91-94 eclipse/talon/laserAWD model. 90 was non lsd I believe, or 3 bolt lsd. One of the two. You'll need the differential, the axles, and the receiving cups that attach to the rear wheel spindles.

thomcasey

I believe there is also a write-up on this site to remove the AWS and continue to use your current rearend. That is an option if sourcing a DSM rear pumpkin and axles are an issue

thruarod

If you remove the 4ws, dont throw any of it away I cant be the only person looking for it, and even if I am I may want to get it from you.

I mean...the lines are leaking, and it'll drain the power steering fluid in 3/4 days depending.

Also, anyone have an online source for the parts for the conversion? I've kind of given up on finding a local scrapyard with it :/

Hey guys, so an update (not that anyone was following any of this anyway loll).

Got the 4 bolt rear in, trimmed one set of lines back to the steering rack and plugged them, cut the others back as far as I could reach without pulling the whole car apart and plugged them too. Discovered a leak that the po attempted to jb weld badly, pulled the whole front end apart and rebent some new lines, and yada yada and now that seems to be sorted out (dead zone in the steering wheel mysteriously vanished too!).

Installed a short shifter and put in a ralliart shift knob (need to find a boot because the stocker doesn't fit too well anymore), and changed all the bushings.

Installed a sparco steering wheel, now i'm waiting on seat mounts/sliders/hardware from jnz to install these (with sparco 4point harnesses as well!) Until then I have the greatest gaming chairs ever lol.

Will post more pics soon of the interior items I've installed so far. Car is currently at my grandparents because they have a garage. Next up wheels/tires (proving to be quite difficult to find the right bolt-pattern/offset/size in a wheel I like, any suggestions would be amazing), respray and getting those dents pulled from the fenders. And probably coilovers too.

Ok, found a pic of the wheel I put in. not a real sparco wheel, just a sparco horn for the center. I liked the look/feel of it better than some of the oddly shaped sparco wheels out there.

So, I guess for now my only issues are waiting on the parts for the seat install, and finding wheels that will work out for my goals. I've looked into the 5lug swap and i'd like to avoid it if at all possible. I'm eventually going to turn this car into a monster one way or another, just trying to sort out the little mechanical hiccups first, so I'd like to fit at least 235/245s on my gaylant so it'll hook up. I'd prefer 15x8 or 16x8 if anyone has any suggestions.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good looking seats. What kind of seat tracks are you getting from JNZ?

the sparco 600 series seat base and rails, with all of the mounting hardware. unfortunately they said the passenger side might take a few weeks to get in :/

Few updates, spent most of the year fighting with a j32 swapped civic hatch. Anyway, i have both of the sparco seats in now, here's a pic with just one in (didn't think to take a pic after the second one was in):

Gathering parts for her for next year, made some friends locally in the dsm community and i'm going to end up swapping in the front and rear subframes out of a 1g dsm, and it'll end up being 5 lug (my subframe looks like it scraped and there's a rust hole in the rear subframe and the front control arm on the passenger side). Just ordered bushings for the control arms, end links, and the subframe bushings from extremepsi. Also have to take care of the valve cover gasket (leaking) and i picked up the active toe elimination kit. Hope i can get to modding it finally next year once it's all tidied up =D

raptorWagon

Quoting prove_it:
Must be a 91-94 eclipse/talon/laserAWD model. 90 was non lsd I believe, or 3 bolt lsd. One of the two.

90s are 3 bolt LSDs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned