The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New guy with a couple of questions.

Hey everyone, my name is Scott. I currently drive a 3000GT, but I've always been interested in the galant vr4's. I'm currently looking at a clean 91 galant vr4 (#119 to be exact. I'm hoping to take a look at the car soon, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on what to watch out for, or good questions to ask when I look at the car.

A little bit about the car:
he says the body has 97,000 miles (so I'm assuming the engine was replaced?)
Web Camshafts
Big 16g turbocharger
Ported exhaust manifold
Supra fuel pump
HKS intake
Act 2600lb clutch
Newer Flywheel
Mofugas cat back exhaust
High flow cat
Race down pipe with dump tube on wastegate
Oil catch can
Momo wheel
EGT, Boost, and Air/fuel Ratio Gauges

Because I am not too familiar with these cars and their aftermarket, are these mods legitimate? Also, the owner says that the oil light and the abs light are on. He says he can prove the car has oil pressure, but I'm not sure about the abs light (I personally hate abs and that doesn't really bother me). Does this sound like a good car to take a look at, or should I steer clear?

Thanks guys (sorry for such a long post), even if I don't buy this car, I hope to stick around for a bit.

Scott

broxma

The constant oil light is many times simply a bad sensor or bad wiring at the sender on the oil filter housing. The ABS may have been disabled or even removed which is a common mod. The rest of the mods seem reasonable. As always, when you buy a car with mods, you are buying it on the faith of their workmanship.

/brox

steve

Well I don't see #119/2000 in the registry so if you can get the VIN for us that would be great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rausch

Oil light on at idle, or on all the time?

At idle only could be a low level, or more drastically, some clearance issues.

All the time on- failing sensor is most likely if the car is still running smooth and isn't making monster noises.

In any case I think I'd be inclined to swap a known good sender in -they are cheap, easy to install, and there are plenty of aftermarket units that support even the dual (or VDO gauge) style sender, or if nothing else verify that the car is making good 'within spec' oil pressures throughout the rev range.

Good luck and happy hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(/Vra)

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I do not have the VIN. I know that he is a member, his car is listed in the for sale section. I read through his previous posts, and it seems that the car needs some work. Namely, larger injectors, getting the ecu rebuilt, a chip from keydiver, a 2nd gen mas, upgraded intercooler, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching, and I think I can handle most of this (if I buy the car), but if I do run into any trouble, are there any other members in Wisconsin. Again, thanks for everything guys.

Scott

Also, I'll be sure to check if the oil light is on all the time, and I'll get the VIN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hertz

Staff member
My spidey sense says this is an old enthusiasts car, some legitimate old-school mods there. I'd expect (not guarantee) that it is well maintained but may need some freshening up. Definitely worth checking out.

Ok, well I took a look at the car. It is very clean. No rust, no leaks, doesn't burn anything. Clutch felt great, went into every gear fine. Pulled pretty hard and felt healthy. The vin is ja3cx56u5mz010765.

The thing that worries me is that the car has a supra fuel pump, but it still on stock injectors. The car does not have an afpr installed.

Also, when the car is rolling, if I press the clutch in and coast, the rpms fluctuate a lot. They are pretty steady when the car is idling.

The oil light is on constantly, so I believe that it is just a problem with one of the sensors.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on price? I'm not too sure what these cars in good condition usually go for. Again, thanks for all the help.

Scott

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting Runner_up:
Does this sound like a good car to take a look at, or should I steer clear?

Isn't that JustTouge's car - Click
It looks like a really clean car and I think that's the original motor. Rust free, low miles, and tasteful mods...I say go for it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts