The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Comparison between VR4 and 2.0lt DOHC

Hi everybody
I have just bought a 92 Galant, 2.0lt DOHC.

My question is, how similar are my engine and the VR4? The reason I ask is that
this is the closest I've come to people (forum) actually specifically talking about these cars.
The other cazillion forums only only offer snippets of info, albeit useful at times. If they are
similar enough, there may be good info here.

My problem is that the old girl is stuck in fail safe mode. Tcm is not communicating
with the scanner, so no code. Dealer said to change it. I was thinking to do a flush
first because the fluid is brownish, but not burnt, and see if it helps.

Any comments and/or suggestions welcome but go easy - it's the first time in a Mitsubishi
and only second time I've driven anything other than Toyota. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks everybody!

Regards

toybreaker

iconoclast
Greetings, and welcome to the site!

Before dropping the tranny pan, it might be a good idea to remove and inspect the tcu board.

Quite a few of them have gone bad due to a poor choice of electrical suppliers when spec'ing out the boards components back when the car was built.

When the capacitors leak/fail, the resulting goo will damage the board, and many times will give the symptom you are describing.

After repairing/replacing the board, a transmission flush will probably not be a bad idea of the car was driven any distance in the fail safe mode

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome.
Apparently, according to the dealers, the trans filter is in the sump so can only be
flushed. So, no dropping the pan if they are right.
She has done 220k kms and it's anybody's guess how long she has been like this. I bought her
off the grass for a good price and condition is very good. Engine is also very smooth. Touch wood.
On these models, do you know if the tcu is separate or part of ecu, ie. a pcm?

fuel

Sounds like it's just an E33A Galant FWD. I would say it is the transmission computer at fault, it is mounted behind the stereo in the center console, best accessed by removing both the kickpanels in the footwells. There will be two 12mm bolts securing it to the firewall, and then a 12mm nut on a stud coming out of the tunnell. Removing the TCU for the first time is a bitch, best to have a 12mm ratcheting spanner handy.

I had an E35A Galant Viento which had a dodgy TCU in such that it would apply the torque converter lock up clutch as soon as you put it into gear therefore stalling the engine, and then at other times it would refuse to engage reverse gear. Unplugging the TCU forcing it to go into mechanical shifting mode enabled it to drive forwards or reverse fine, but obviously in top gear and no overdrive or lock up. Replacing the TCU fixed it.

The fact that the tcu does not communicate with the scanner makes it highly suspect and would
warrant a swap. The one thing that bothers me though is why there are no warning lights? Most
discussions on this mention a flashing or steady N, D, o/d or engine light. The fuse for the
dashboard, P N D 2 1 pow/eco and o/d, was blown but when replaced all lights are on and changes
with gears and buttons. No warning lights...not blown again either.

Hi, yeti, no this one is 4g63, no turbo, hence the topic. Two questions actually, I suppose whether
I'm welcome without a turbo and whether there are enough similarities for me to learn from you.

Speaking of which, could you confirm that mine is the E38A and the turbo the E39A?
Edit: Sorry fuel, I took so long to type you posted before me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
You said, E33A, which would make it E33A 4g63?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Everybody

I am having trouble getting the TCU out. Looks like the two front nuts is unreachable
and so is the 3rd and 4th nuts that hold the unit to the frame. Got the cuts to prove
I tried!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

fuel

E31A = 1.6 4G32 FWD
E32A = 1.8 4G37 FWD
E33A = 2.0 4G63 FWD
E34A = 1.8TD 4D65T FWD
E35A = 1.8 DOHC 4G67 FWD
E37A = 1.8 4G37 4WD, no 4WS
E38A = 2.0 4G63 4WD, no 4WS
E39A = 2.0 4G63 4WD with 4WS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned