The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Heater Core for $50?

johnnyRacer

I saw this on Auto Zone's site. Brand New Heater Core for $49.99, part # 398267.
click
They can have it in two days. Has anyone used this unit or heard any feed back on it. Its starting to get cold in Chicago I need a new core. I am just trying to find out is this worth my time or not.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

You need it so try it, you'll never know unless you do,
-Shane

evo8ya

Man getting to the heater core is no easy task. I used a new mitsu heater core to be sure of fitment and quality because I never want to go back in there.

Barnes

Hard to say. It depends how hard you find pulling the heater core out. IMHO it is easier to pull the dash to get to the heater core. It makes it much easier. So much easier that I prefer to pull the dash to do it. And honestly, I don't think pulling the dash is that hard.

A new mitsu heater core is like $200+. So I can understand trying a cheap core. However, I bought a $100 core from CarQuest and it leaked after a year or so. Ended up putting in a USED oem heater core. Doesn't put out quite as much heat, but works fine and it doesn't leak.

Really it boils down to how much effort you are willing to put in if your cheapness doesn't pay off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Armitage

As long as it matches exactly the factory inlet/outlet positions I'm sure it'll be fine. I've been using an Advance Autoparts-sourced replacement for 3 or 4 years now.

That being said, changing the heater core is one of the uglier jobs you could choose to do. Either pull your dash or do what I did and go in from the passenger side to replace it...

CIMG1664.sized.jpg

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

FYI i purchased a aftermarket heatercore from Advanced Auto cause i was only getting kinda warm air out so i figured it was bad and the aftermarket one did not fit to well in the box and i couldn't use all the factory brackets or insulation around the box. Id honestly go with a good used OEM one cause they aftermarkets arent the best

johnnyRacer

Picked up the heater core today. I guess I'll get started on it this weekend if nothing else comes up like honey do's. By the way, which approach is the best way to go at it? Pulling the dash or going from the passenger side. Which has better access whithout breaking stuff?

I have replaced this heater core (the whole thing with the core in it) with a brand new OEM unit, and my advice is to pull the dash. You will have better access to the core with the dash out. If this will be your first time to pull the dash then it will take some time. Plan on at least a whole day.

Barnes

I also agree on pulling the dash. Very helpful tip: Unbolt the steering column from the big rail under the dash. There are 4 large bolts that hold it up. This allows the dash to lower down and sit on the seat, thus making the dash removal much easier. Other than that, just take your time and carefully label all the parts you pull out.

gtluke

I have to do mine soon.
I'm assuming I'll have to drain the AC to get the heater box out right? The heater core doesn't come out easy does it? You have to take the whole box out?

Barnes

You don't have to drain the A/C! You basically disconnect the blower box, evaporator box, and the control box(contains the heater core). That gives you enough wiggle room, even with the A/C lines hooked up, to get the control box out. It is a pain still, but having the dash out makes it a fairly bearable job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

johnnyRacer

Finally stopped dragging my feet on this. It was in the 30's today and I got the heater box out. The Auto Zone heater core really fit well. It went into the box just like the one that came out. Even the tubes laid in the same location as the original. The only issue I saw was this core did not come with any insulation. Tomorrow I'm gonna add some foam insulation on the sides to make it realy fit like oem before putting everything back together. Gotta get some heat before it really gets cold around here.

Last edited:

johnnyRacer

EXCELLENT! This thing blows really good heat now. Best $50 I've spent considering how low the winter temps get in Chicago. I've got only one complaint. The knob for the heat selector is hard to turn now and some of the lights are now not working.

Barnes

You might want to try and manipulate the control rod for the temperature by hand directly at the box. This way you can see if the flapper is installed in the box correctly, or if the issue is the cable. It is possible you might have got flappers misaligned in the box when you took it apart to put the new core in.

As far as the lights... well, probably just need to fiddle with the harness connectors or the light bulbs themselves to see if they start working again.

Besides that, congratulations on one of the harder GVR-4 jobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts