The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Guy with a Galant GSX

I traded my daily 93 vw Passat vr6 for this could-be beast, and now I am fully back in the Mitsu family. I have been into Mitsus for a while but got a little sidetracked with the German thing. Anyway, on to the relevant stuff... Here is a pic from 2 minutes after I got it, next to my mirage. More pics to come once I clean it up a bit.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

I know... terrible pics from the wrong angle and all that. shut it.

she came with an oil leak I think is from the front crank seal, so the only solution I can see is to turbo her with all my spare parts lol. Either that or stick the freshened up 6-bolt turbo motor in with all the parts intended for the Mirage. I am really torn about what to do, comfy daily beast or wheelspin machine...

Here are a few goodies I had laying around for it:
IMG_0113.jpg

plans are:
-Give it a bath and a good vacc'ing
-Join GVR4.org (finally)
-Figure out how to lower it and stiffen it, because it handles like a heavy car
-Put on my other wheels, 15x7 Artecs with a little bit of lip
-Decide weather I should throw in the turbo motor or fix the N/A one and turbo it with my spare stock parts
-find the single-DIN brackets and install a stereo in the hole in the dash

If you guys have any pointers then let me know

So I am finding that the search function is about as effective as a phone book.

Two question leap to mind:

-1: What size brakes came on my GSX? are they the same as a vr4 or a just a GS?

-2; Will one of you gentlemen point me to a good thread about using evo suspension components?

raptorWagon

Welcome! You could turbo it, but remember to do your research on everything that is needed (including drivetrain). You could look into the Evo 8/9 Suspension swap in the "How-to" section of the forum, there are several threads in there about it.

GSX_TC

welcome aboard man, read this click and this click and if i were you i would def boost it.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Didn't realize you're in OR, you've got plenty of VR4 members near you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks or the welcome. I used google to find the evo suspension threads, now to just find some evo suspension parts... Thanks for the heads up on the brakes, I will keep an eye out for the basic upgrades... err, the thread that tells me the basic upgrades. I am assuming that Expo LRV would do, or perhaps N/T 3kgt stuff.

I think I will try to find a front lip that looks decent, while hoping for a VR4 bumper to materialize.

mikus

USDM bumpers aren't hard to come by, just give it time especially in your neck of the woods.

It sounds like a lot of work, but... if you really want to tidy up the car, I was amazed how much cleaner it felt power washing my carpet. Just putting it out there, if you're already going to have parts out for stereo, shifter etc.

good luck with it

Galactica

Welcome from another Oregonian!

thedsmguy

Hey Local guy!

I have extra gvr4 front knuckles/brakes if you want to stay 4 lug. Easy way to get the big brakes, or I can help you get a 5 lug setup as well.

As far as the search goes, if you type in -re: it helps a LOT in getting you want you are looking for.

Good luck with your car!

IncorpoRatedX

good to see another silver GGSX

what are your use goals for it? DD? weekend car? winter car?

JDM bumpers can be had for that car already painted silver on ebay, pricey but a huge upgrade.

if it's a daily, just fix up the NA engine, stiffen everything up and enjoy the comfort and reliability.

GSX_TC

im selling my USDM VR4 front bumper in the for sale section if your interested

well I am seriously considering the 5-lug swap because the wheels I have just look way too small on the car. I am going to look for pics of Galants on 16s wit ha little drop, and I am going to look into getting the Stealth 17s that I just came across.

if I recall, the donor for the 5-lug is any average DSM, correct? I have access to a 3kgt and a Diamante, too. Time to research.... or ask for advice lol

I plan on daily driving this and finally doing a few rallycrosses

raptorWagon

DSM stuff will work, whether or not you have ABS determines which hubs you'll be hunting for or if you happen to ABS then you and want to delete that stuff then sourcing a non-abs hubs would be no problem.

15s don't look bad at all once it's lowered a bit.
15138_211200625335_507210335_4543387_847246_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Haha it's a small world

I just knew that if I posted a pic of it the old owner would pop up. The AWD Galant world really is a small one.

I saw the holes in the bumper and under the battery when I got the car. I plan on doing a relatively stock setup on the car using a bunch of spare parts I have laying around so your work just made it easier.

I have a few questions for you regarding your conversion, about the motor in the car now and the harness. I was wondering if you just ran the additional wires separately or swapped the entire harness. I would also like to know it this is the motor you boosted or you swapped a turbo motor in. PM me or reply on here, let me know what you know about the car. pics and details on events if you raced it would be cool too

Little update... GSXCONVERT filled me in on the history of the car. He says it has the Motor from his VR4 and its basically ready to be converted back to turbo.

I need another water pipe and maybe an ECU, as the one I have is socketed and chipped for 550s and a 2g MAS.

can any of you fellas point me in the right direction for the GGSX-->turbo wiring harness additions. I think its 5 wires, but a good writeup would ease my worry. I will be searching my spacebar off, but it never hurts to ask in case someone has a favorite thread.

ALSO it gave me its first problem today. While driving home it started cutting out, I could hear the MPI relay cicking, got down to pull the ECU and a few drops of water roll off. (no idea if it was condensation or not). Anyway, I pull open the case and smell something funky. Bingo, The ECU s--t the bed, traces of crap on the board right by the OEM capacitors. So I limp ALMOST all the way home, walking the final two blocks, grab my spare rebuilt ECU and skate back to plug it in. She fired right up and drove home.

So I submit this as my application to your special little club: If you keep a spare ECU around because you KNOW that you'll need it, you might drive a Mitsu.

My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy

GSX_TC

sorry to hear about that, good job keeping that spare ECU though, thats actually not a bad idea, to keep a spare in the trunk aswell to go along with all the other spare crap back there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned