The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new guy with 92 vr4

hey whats going on guys, im dan, im 21 and i live in pingree grove, IL. Im new to the turbo world but i have owned my fair share of decent cars in the last three years. Iv had a 2001 saturn sl2 (lol yea my first car), 1991 Acura integra, 1992 Mitsubishi 3000gt base, 1992 BMW 325i, 1993 Honda Del slow, and now i own a 1992 galant vr4, 682/1000. Its all stock, with 112000 miles on it, i have the valve cover off now to replace the valve cover gaskets because i got oil in my #2 and 3 spark plugs, and a little on the timing belt. For some reason dude that had car before me cut the back brake hardlines? i have no idea why. But other than that one i fix the leak, powersteering, and brakes, im going to be ready to make this thing a beast, or atleast try to. By the beginning of august iplan on hoping to have around 300 to all wheels. Still doing research on these, havent had much experience with these. So anything i should look out for? any recommendations? any good website i can find stuff for the vr4?

Ill have pics up later, gotta figure out how to get them from my phone to my laptop.

Thanks guys hope you all can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AnotherNewb

Hi!!! Welcome to our world!!! As a newbie we expect you to post some pictures up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have asked the first question that almost every newb asks. The very first things you need to do with your new car is ALL maintenance. That means timing belt, water pump, change ALL fluids. You want a car that's in tip top shape begot you start bolting parts on.
your power goals are very resonable and easily achievable, just remember that it isn't a honda therefore its not going to react to bolt ons like a bonds would.
After you know the car is in good running order you are going to want to upgrade your intercooler since the factory one is poor at best. Your first mods should be supporting mods before you start upping the power levels. There are many upgrade paths already written out there you just have to google it. RRE has a good upgrade path albeit a little dated.
The power levels you so desire are achievable with a 16g turbo and supporting fuel mods ie upgraded fuel pump and desire along with a fpr. You should look into parts right now that your not going to have to upgrade later when 300hp isn't enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif DSMlink is a great product and a used version could be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

Last edited:

thanks man, yeah im deff doing maintenance first, the owner before game me receipts of the maintenance that he had done in the last 400 miles, he had already done waterpump/thermostat, timing belt, tensioner pully. All i need to do is brakes, valve cover gasket, powersteering pump, spark plugs n wires. I have been thinking of a 16g, and a better side mount, i dont want to go a front mount because im going for more of the stock/sleeper look.

AnotherNewb

SMIC don't receive much airflow through our bumpers unless you remove the foglight... Honestly you can fit a front mount in the stock bumper without cutting it up too much, just black it out and tell everyone its the radiator. Good looking car.

GSX_TC

yeah man you can still achieve the sleeper look with a black front mount.

VR_IV_MR

yeah im going to go with the normal bumper and a black anodized FMIC with intentions of keeping it sleeper looking

GSX_TC

i think those look pretty cool, i wanna actually show off my front mount though, most likely gonna go with an ETS kit

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned