The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of power should I expect?

rdomeck

I doing a stock rebuild and have no idea of what kind of power I'm looking at producing....300? 350?

Big 16 G turbo
Evo III exhaust manifold and O2 housing
3" exhaust
DSM link
Larger injectors

All new stock components MLS head gasket ARP head studs balance shaft's deleted, etc. I will be making a big intercooler as well.

Some recommendation on boost level? Any more upgrades I should consider?

rdomeck

New mitsu belt already on engine. Supra fuel pump also installed by previous owner....Big enough? I'll check into the fuel pressure regulator tomorrow.

belize1334

With a good tune and supporting mods you should be able to lay down 300awhp without pushing too hard. People have done more but you can't necessarily expect it.

For comparison sake, I got 260awhp on a s16g at 17psi a while back. The E3 will give you more boost and cooler temps so jumping to 300 isn't much of a stretch...

Nartanian

Pump gas? Race Gas? Meth? E85? I think the type of gas you run should be factored in as it will make quiet a bit of difference.

Launch

Stock Hp or less, Until properly tuned to take the turbo and whatever inj, pump, fuel you'll be using.

Needs more variables that affect VE like compression ratio (static/dcr)

If parts are behind mmaintance, they rob your of power, Like dragging wheel bearings.

rdomeck

Parts are not behind maintenance.... I'm doing a rebuild with stock internals. Stock compression, stock valves, stock cam, stock pistons. I'm running a Supra fuel pump. I have a FPR regulator along with the other parts listed above.

I was just looking for some other opinion's on anything I should add and what type of power I could expect!

cheekychimp

The EVO III 16G likes 22-23 psi but people do run them at 18 psi or even less. It goes without saying that on a turbocharged vehicle, the more boost you run, the more power you make. You can bump up fuel pressure with a larger pump but you really need to choose injectors wisely. The stock fuel system with larger injectors should support this turbo easily. You can expect anything between 300 and 350 awhp with a good tune. Fuel is important and will affect what boost pressure you can run but you shouldn't need race gas for 22 psi!

4thStroke

He won't make 350awhp on a properly reading dyno, I'd be willing to place money on that.

Who's tuning the car? How experienced are they?

rdomeck

I will be tuning the car....I run a fabrication shop and I was a Porsche mechanic for a number of years as well as racing for the last 20 years of my life. This is being used as a daily driver and I will be running pump gas. I have purchased all my parts through STM and have used there recommendation on injector's, fuel pressure regulator and really all the other parts going into this build. I believe the injectors they are sending me are 1000cc injectors, but I haven't received the truck load of parts from them yet!

Lonewolf64

Perhaps consider running methanol injection in tandem with pump gas. Lower charge temperatures and higher effective octane rating means you can safely push more boost/timing.

2of9

I have 550s, e316g, exhaust, 190 pump, dsmlink, pump gas. On a Mustang Dyno, I should be around the 250-260awhp mark at 20psi. More than enough for me.

rdomeck

Quoting Lonewolf64:
Perhaps consider running methanol injection in tandem with pump gas. Lower charge temperatures and higher effective octane rating means you can safely push more boost/timing.

Really? For a daily driver?

belize1334

Yeah don't go meth. A good intercooler should keep the e16g under control in the 20psi range.

Ian M

The original post says big 16g (with a evo III manifold) and not the EVO III 16g others are referring to in the replies,is that correct? Just clarifing since those are two different turbos.

Last edited:

Lukefraizer

Hells ya! I run watermeth on my dd! I mean what does it hurt? The systems are cheap and allow for much further mods and no detination... It's very good! Also I know that was spelled incorrectly. But I still stand by that, I like water meth. fact.

belize1334

Big 16g flows about the same as the E3 16g, it's just not quite as efficient or responsive. But the power expectation from the two turbos are about the same...

RedTwo

Big vs Evo 16G is something like 4-6lb/min different iirc, and if you can get something like 10hp per lb/min there'll be a slight difference between them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

240-290 whp depending on aggressiveness of the tune, boost and the like.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts