The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new guy,need help

rost

Ok,so i bought a new tester from harbor freight and redid the test.Went all the way up,until the gauge stopped,about 8 revolutions.Here are the results:
1-141
2-136
3-137
4-144

rost

So it looks that i am higher that the lowest service spec(130 from what i've read).
I went for a drive,warmed the car up pretty good,and drove for about 20-25 minutes.The car still smokes,and thats after i removed the intercooler all the ic piping and cleaned them up even though there was almost no oil,but i had to check....When the car idles,after being warmed up,it smokes,sometimes pretty bad,sometimes less.When i drive it,almost no smoke.The more i push it,the less smoke it seems.Smoke is bluish(i think) and smells like burning oil.Could it be residual from a previous turbo?And if so,how long could it take for it to burn up?I doubt there was a lot of oil dumped into the exhaust piping.There was oil though on the turbine wheel of the blown turbo and turbo housing.So who knows how much oil was dumped.And im reusinng the turbo housing on the 14b.

rost

Here is an update.I think i traced my smoking problem to a pcv valve,or a catch can routing design by a previous owner.Maybe the turbo blew the seal because of that too?After replacing the turbo the car still smoked,so i vent ahead and replaced the pcv valve with a cheap autozone one.Ran the car until warm and drove it around the block couple times and the smoking went away.
Everything seemed to be fine.The car sat in the garage,i occasionaly drove it around.Today i warmed the car up and it started smoking again at idle.Maybe the case is a cheap pcv valve.Maybe the catch can setup.
I did some research on a catch can desings on dsmtuners and dsmtalk.Some people say if you run the catch can there is no need for pcv valve.Is that true?One thing i noticed,i dont have any oil whatsoever in the catch can....Not even a drop.
Here is a little diagram on how the catch can is installed in my car.
350uk9l.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned