The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New guy from Mass with a 4G63 Ram 50 and now a GVR4

MellowVR4

You might as well keep it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4g63mightymax

It's becoming so nice, that I'm tempted to keep it! Under the hood of this car is looking so sweet right now, and I can drive it around my yard! I hope to have it on the road legally in a month or so. It won't be perfect, but should be drivable.

MellowVR4

You've done a very nice job, and the car has been saved IMO.

4g63mightymax

Yep. Still going!

gvr4parts_3.jpg

...and if anybody is curious, this is the difference between a galant vr4 and 1G dsm thermostat housing cap.

gvr4-thermostat-housing-neck.jpg

4g63mightymax

Sandblasted and painted. Stock MAF FTW.
gvr4parts_4.jpg

Engine bay needs a good cleaning, more parts, & I need to install my fancy valve cover.
gvr4parts_5.jpg

MellowVR4

Love it!

4g63mightymax

Thank you! Me too! I can't wait to wash and wax the whole thing. I haven't washed it yet, and I've owned it for ~ 2 years. Luckily, it has been indoors the entire time.

Here is a short to do list:
- Fill transfer case
- get a battery that fits
- get a N/T throttle cable
- get a AN turbo drain tube
- make a new intake pipe
- swap valve cover to nice one
- vacuum, wash, wax
- swap any existing gross hardware to new stuff.
- install headlights and bumper
- register & drive it!
- put for sale sign in the window! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

I even added the plastic air box duct. Oh and I made the intake pipes look new! Sick bro.

image-700x525.jpg

image1-700x525.jpg

transparentdsm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif once you drive the car your not going to want to do that last step where you put a sign in it.

4g63mightymax

I got the car to idle last night!

This is what it looked like in the dark.

engine.jpg

MellowVR4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

4g63mightymax

It turns out that 1G DSM and GVR4 subframe connectors are different.

GVR4-subframe_1.jpg

GVR4-subframe_2.jpg

MellowVR4

Are they angled different?

4g63mightymax

Yes, they are the same shape and size, but the GVR4's are bent up higher in the front by an inch or two. Laying on the floor, the GVR4's are taller. Maybe I will take another pic with a tape measure... for science!

MellowVR4

Cool, I sure did not know that they different, I wonder if a 1g would still work considering the difference..

tektic

Wow. I have to check mine. Another reason my drivetrain may make noise.

Edit: yep I got the wrong one installed. If it's not touching anything is there a difference? None of the mounts attach directly to this. Is the front piece this connects to different?

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

I think the 1G ones could possibly attach if you force them into place with some long bolts, or if they are bent slightly upward at the front. I do have a third one that looks like it could have been a 1G cross bar at some point that was bent with some serious force. It is way too ugly to put on this car though. lol.

Also - I don't *think that the front bar with the motor mount is different between the 1G and GVR4, but I may pull that out again to check. If I do, I will most definitely do some caparisons for fun, because I have a pile of them.

Last edited:

thomcasey

You will probably find that the front bar is a bit different. Since the VR4 uses a different engine bracket for the front motor mount, they are at least different as far as where the front roll stop mounts to it. Although, it would be interesting if they are the same as to where they mount to the frame. If so, then that item would be an option for those rebuilding a VR4 that can't come across the front engine bracket. Swap in a DSM front bar, or a Bullfab unit and use the stock AWD bracket from an AWD and the front is good!

I eagerly await this as my son also has a VR4, and his motor is wedged in pretty good at the tin=ming side bracket because the front engine bracket is from a DSM.

4g63mightymax

Last night, I sandblasted, painted, and measured the cross bars that we talked about yesterday. I have some more pictures that I will get up here in a bit. The front subframe with the front engine mount - I have three of them to compare. The one in my car right now is from a 1G DSM (90% sure), and I'm using the 344 engine bracket. I have two more of these with mounts attached to them. One is definitely GVR4, and the other - I have no idea. I'll compare them as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully in the next couple days! (Maybe tonight)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts