The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New engine install

Okayplayer

I bought a short block from a friend of mine, It's supposed to be a fresh motor, but has a spun bearing. I plan to swap it out with the one I have in the car. The short block has fresh piston rings/pistons and only has one bearing to replace. It also has ARP head studs. It's been hot tanked already too. Anything I should upgrade or replace, prior to throwing on my old head (other than belts and water pump)?

Double check the history on that block. A fresh block with a spun bearing doesn't sound to fresh.

Okayplayer

True, I've given it a good once over and it doesn' have any damage to the crank. PO said that some gunk from his turbo is what caused the problem, which didn't sound right, so I looked for myself and it looks pretty good.

Okayplayer

Also I was looking at rod and main bearings. Of course eBay has the biggest price variance. Does it matter which brand? or which brand should I stay away from?

alansupra94

I just bought ACL race bearings off ebay. Worked great. Some people think that they come from a knock off place but I called ACL. They are legit. Haven't had a problem yet.

I almost want to say that the spun bearing was probably due to user install error where someone installed them incorrectly/backwards.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned