The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

crank sprocket removal?

HEllo all and thanks for any help as some of you have read in prior posts that I did find out what happened to my motor. It seems that I spun a bearing and it was bad enough to break the bearing and overlap its self thus causing it to cease. The crank has deep cuts in it and I dont think it can be repaired so its gotta go the crank bolt is out as are all the other bolts but the crank spocket wont budge is there a special way to remove it so the I can drop the block off to be cleaned and get the rods and crank kit going ?

The crank sprocket is keyed and you may need to put a pulley puller on it.

edit: sorry for the fuzzy pictures, i need to get a new camera....

Last edited by a moderator:

Muskrat

Unrelated, but geno's answered your question, and this has been bugging me in all your posts:

It's seize, not cease.

Cease means to bring to a stop (an action).

Seize means to hold firmly and forcefully.

It's a fine distinction, but in the case of an engine that stops rotating: it seizes up thus ceasing to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Quoting Muskrat:
Unrelated, but geno's answered your question, and this has been bugging me in all your posts:

It's seize, not cease.

It's a fine distinction, but in the case of an engine that stops rotating: it seizes up thus ceasing to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hehehehehehe, grammar nazi's of the forum unit!!!

Drdamm21,

Were you able to get the sprocket off? Or do you still need assistance?

Edit: Here is what I would do if i were you.

This is your average steering wheel puller. Basic Harbor freight issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

vapid

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Quoting Muskrat:

It's seize, not cease.

Hehehehehehe, grammar nazi's of the forum unit!!!

Unit? Or unite?

On topic. Why not just get a new sprocket while you're at it? They're not very expensive.

vapid

I believe he needs to pull the sprocket to get the front case off. He wants to re-use the block and I don't think the oil seal will clear the sprocket.

vapid

Sorry, I didn't realize he still had balance shafts, I thought he could just drop the whole thing. Long night.

YEs the ballance shaft is there but was not being used but yes I need to bet the damn front case off and remove the messed up crank so I can have the block acid dipped

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts