The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

using a 90 motor. need help

coolclean577

Hey guys got some qestions about my 90 motor. My buddy I and got my tran, the rest away on lastnight and was putting the housing bolts in. I'm using the 90 dust shield and I can't putt my bolts thou it. My question is do I need a 91 dust sheild? Or can I don't run one? Where can I get one for a 91? Then next one is. When I putt in My oiler cooler on does it need to be in there a speail way? My using my lower temp housing form 577. And the upper houning is from the 90 bec using the rad. Its nicer . But qestion do I need to run the 90s bec for the 2 lines for coolent got one hook up to the turbo but still got one still not hook up. Please help need to have 577 out of the garge and be moved by this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.got parts for help if your by my area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks guys .

jepherz

Staff member
Dust shield? I have no idea what that is exactly, but there are no shields that differ between a '90 and '91+.

On the cooler, you'll probably have to be a bit more specific. I can't tell what you're asking.

coolclean577

Ok oil cooler. Where can I put it at I seen poeple put it in the fog lights. I want to keep my fog light in.

The dust sheild . I cant mount my starter bec the hole on the 90 miss one the hole for the starter bolts.

I tell better on the phone if anyone got info can do it here or call me 712.577.1959 just need it runing

BPU925

The "dust" shield differs from AWD to FWD.....fwd in an awd will cause starter bolts not to go thru......I'm guessin that's the shield ur talkin bout?

AnotherNewb

Here is what I have gathered from your post:
Do I need to use the 90 oil filter housing to use the air/oil cooler... yes you do.
my starter doesn't line up could it be the starter plate... yes it can. It could be as simple of a fix a loosening the trans back up and wiggling the plate around or you could have to pull it off and grind it a little/find the proper plate. And you must run a started plat otherwise you trans wont be lined up correctly.
Where is a good place you mount your oil cooler... you can still fit it into the fender well with the fog light in. Another good place is in front of your radiator, behind your front mount. And you can mount it with the lines in whatever orientation you need.

And... you should post a pic of your ?thermostat? Housing. Im pretty sure you are using a dsm housing for thecoolant fill cap, just make sure you have the correct sensors in it.

Hope that helps a little Gabe.

donkeylips

What car did the '90 motor come from? You can run the VIN to find out if you don't know. First of all, I hope it's a turbo motor. For the "dust shields" or starter plate, like people have said they differ FWD to AWD, not '90 to '91+. So if your engine came from a FWD car, you need to swap out the upper and lower starter plates from your gvr4 engine or another AWD motor. I believe non-turbo also differs from FWD turbo starter plates. I assume you already know that you need to run the AWD flywheel. Your mounting brackets are also different if this is a FWD engine. Make sure you use mounting brackets from your original gvr4 engine, especially the front because that one also differs from the 1g AWD TEL.

You definitely want the '90 oil cooler, water pipe, and lower housing like you said. If your gvr4 still has AC you need to make sure you have the right sensors. If not, it's not as important. But here's what you need to know: There is a larger sensor on the front for engine control, and it's important. There's a smaller one on the front for your coolant temp gauge on the cluster. Without A/C that's all you need. With A/C you have the larger white connector, and one extra sensor on the back. On your '90 housing, there will just be a bolt here. If you have A/C, take out the bolt and put the sensor in there. If both housings were working properly, that should be the only thing you need to do. I should also mention that your thermo vacuum valve is not important unless you have some reason to keep all of your emissions equipment and vacuum routing stock. I'm pretty sure the only line that comes off the front of the housing goes to your turbo.

So in summary, make sure you the starter plates/flywheel cover, flywheel from an AWD car, as long as the engine brackets. The front bracket must be from a gvr4. You don't need to mess with any of the '90 thermostat housing stuff(except switching the upper so you can run the gvr4 radiator), but if you have A/C you need to remove the bolt and put in the extra (gvr4 specific) sensor. The '90 cooling stuff is cleaner, and more desirable so running a '90 engine should be good! I think there's a small t-belt pulley difference and maybe differences with the oil pump, but you don't need to worry about those here. Good luck!

Diego

Quoting BPU925:
The "dust" shield differs from AWD to FWD.....fwd in an awd will cause starter bolts not to go thru......I'm guessin that's the shield ur talkin bout?

hit the nail on the head here....

Diego

lets see if i can clean this up.

1. Gabe bought a parts car with a fully running motor, just needed the motor for the swap.
2. It is a 90's motor from a TSI....
3. YOU MUST use a AWD dust shield as FWD shields are incorrect for our applications.
4. His upper Thermostat housing is from the donor, but the lower portion is from his stock GVR4 motor.... any complications he can run into here?
5-INFINITY..... You guys are great help, we just need to move 577 from the garage as our house was sold, and well we can put it on a trailer, I'm sure he just wants it under his own power to drive it to Omaha and live their.

thanks guys. hope my post cleared it up for some people.

BPU925

ill take 2 for 300 diego...

i looked at the one on my gsx and vr4 and the bolt pattern looks the same on both cars for the top....just vr4 has sensor at top and dsm has sensor on side...so i think u should be ok there....

donkeylips

Quoting Diego:
lets see if i can clean this up.

1. Gabe bought a parts car with a fully running motor, just needed the motor for the swap.
2. It is a 90's motor from a TSI....
3. YOU MUST use a AWD dust shield as FWD shields are incorrect for our applications.
4. His upper Thermostat housing is from the donor, but the lower portion is from his stock GVR4 motor.... any complications he can run into here?
5-INFINITY..... You guys are great help, we just need to move 577 from the garage as our house was sold, and well we can put it on a trailer, I'm sure he just wants it under his own power to drive it to Omaha and live their.

thanks guys. hope my post cleared it up for some people.

4: That's backwards depending on the radiator he's running. He needs the '90 lower part, and the upper part should match the radiator(use gvr4 upper if he's using gvr4 radiator). The gvr4 lower part has the extra nipple for the stock oil cooler; he doesn't want that. To make it simple and easy, he can just put the two side by side and swap all of the gvr4 sensors into the '90 lower housing.

coolclean577

Ok. For the dust sheild its a fwd . So I'm going to need a awd one then. Where can I get new one?

I going to need the bottom of the 90s. Don't got that no more.

As for the oil cooler thanks. Well try that out.

Not runing a/c took the pump off. .

Last edited:

14u2nV

Don't know if you've already discovered it, but the 90 t/b and CAS are different as well. My fuel rail was different too, just the end that goes to the fuel filter.

donkeylips

JNZ Tuning has the starter plate(upper part) and the flywheel cover(lower part) brand new. I just ordered the flywheel cover for about $5.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts