The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need help on installing 4 bolts, SOLVED

Terry Posten

Referring to the factory service manual, it does look like that carrier is an LSD unit. The open ended carriers are more open and you can see more of the spiders but I am only looking at drawings. But you can clearly see the spots were you use feeler gauges to set the gear backlash.

Someone that is used to seeing these things apart needs to chime in.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Yep, looks like a viscous LSD unit to me, but darned if I can tell 3 from 4 bolt just by looking at the outside! Use some calipers to check the diameter of the shaft cavity? I've got a 4 bolt viscous unit sitting here that i can compare measurements with.

edit: I forget you guys don't get 4 bolt, 4WS LSDs over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

stealthtt24

So does anyone know what I have, and why my driver side axle won't fit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd like to get this taken care of while I have down time, as I am waiting on SS brake lines and rear rotors.

stealthtt24

My lines and rotors came in. I'm at wits end with the rear end. Removed my passenger side axle just to look at it again. Longer spline is on the right side. I'm really at a loss here, greased up the spline and tried again, it will just not budge. I believe john (boostx) swapped some of the guts to keep 4ws intact, and I am not running 4ws. I would assume he swapped the right stuff over, but I don't see how that would affect me putting an axle in.

Terry Posten

Sorry, I have shot my knowledge load on this post already. If it was me, I would have called Chris Beran (BoostinHard) 30 minutes into the first issues but he is no longer on the board. maybe Curtis can help but the thing you may want to do is pull the center section out to get a good clear picture of what is blocking you.

If you do, snap more pics.

Sorry I can't help more.

beaner

The rear driver side axle on my 2g was just like that. I probably wrestled with it for 2 hours. It finally went in. I remember the frustration.

Quoting geno:
I did the differential on 1870 about a month ago. I lost my crow bar in the lawn somewhere out of anger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The lawn mower will love it.

Terry Posten

You may just need to drop the drive shaft off of the diff input and spin the whole unit while trying to seat the d-side axle.

Take the d-side axle c-clip off, put the passenger side back together and bolt the tire on and kick it around with your foot while one hand is on the drive shaft input (spinning it) and one hand on the d-side axle. Spin everything while attempting to slide it home. If it falls in, remove the d-side axle without spinning anything and re-install clip and slide it back in.

Good luck.

stealthtt24

Driver side axle refuses to go in. Heres a video...

click

Picture of both axles, top goes in great into passenger, bottom will not. Thinking its a non lsd 4 bolt rear axle.

IMAG0064.jpg

Last edited:

RedTwo

...I'm pretty sure they're the same number of splines.

I shall go count some to be sure.

A few dirty fingers later...
The smaller shaft on the end of the LSD axle (passenger?) does have 19 teeth, but the larger spline should also have 25.
The short axle spline should also have 25. (or 24 if you can count correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif)

That photo makes it look like your axles are different lengths. It might just be where the CV boot is on the 'short' axle.

Your video makes it look like the axle doesn't even mesh with the diff gears! It looks like you can spin the axle freely once it's inserted into the oil seal.

Don't suppose there's anything in the drivers side of the diff? Like a rag? (just checking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Or a broken axle stub? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting Terry Posten:
That is a 3 bolt diff. The brass ring on the right is for the PS pump.

That is absolutely a 4-bolt LSD diff with a 4ws drive gear put onto it in order to keep 4ws. I've done this procedure a few times.

This last round (there is a thread on it in tech), i had a hell of a time getting the Right axle in. I had to get the circlip placed in just the right spot and just give it a little tap-tap-tap-aroo.

Last edited:

flag24

I remember seeing this problem in a post in 2007 headed "Axles and Diffs" (I couldn't find it using a direct search). It seams like your dr side axle my be a JDM dr side rear lsd axle. Find post and you'll see what I mean. Good pics and an easy test by measuring the stub axle lenght.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

As you can see, the axle is USDM, and I am now almost positive its the rear end. Still waiting on a local to contact me so I can go test fit this axle. Although, I could go to a guys house about an hour away, pick up the rear end he was going to sell me, and test fit the axle.

IMAG0087.jpg

Last edited:

stealthtt24

With the help of a local, I finally got this resolved. The issue was the axle spline ends. They were messed up before I purchase them and we took a dremel and straighten them out now if it's like a glove.

Terry Posten

Good deal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned