The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need help on installing 4 bolts, SOLVED

Terry Posten

Pm me your addy. I will PO you one.

G

Staff member
Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting G:
Wth? You don't grind that clip, it's supposed to be a little larger than the spline /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif You have to remove it and install a new one. If that doesn't' work you may have to go buy a rebuilt unit and use this one as a core.

Where do you even FIND "rebuilt" rear axles?

I know a place that can rebuild them for like $60.00. Fast and cheap. Send it to me. Or you can get a new clip by scamming one off a new/ rebuilt axle from vatozone. Just go buy an axle pop off the clip and return it the next day.

mitsuturbo

Well, i was asking more for a source on REAR axles, since i dont know of ANYWHERE that has them for sale.

G

Staff member

alansupra94

LOL vatozone. Although they are pretty cheap and with a lifetime warrenty.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting G:
click

If you read that listing carefully, you will see that the part number shown for "rear" is exactly the same as the left front. I doubt that they really have rears available.

Terry Posten

Mailed today. Said 3 days.

I just wanted to remind stealthtt24, that patience and cleanliness is key. I am not saying repack the boots and put a fresh coat of paint on it. Just clean enough so it doesn't contaminate the differential. If you / your friend get pissed and impatient, walk away, go get some beer... You never want to unintentionally put grains of sand or slivers of metal in moving parts.

Also remind your friend that if a part is original it most likely does not need to be modified to work. :p

I did the differential on 1870 about a month ago. I lost my crow bar in the lawn somewhere out of anger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also review this if you haven't so far. http://vfaq.com/mods/4bolt.html

mitsuturbo

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting G:
click

If you read that listing carefully, you will see that the part number shown for "rear" is exactly the same as the left front. I doubt that they really have rears available.

Agreed. I have called before to double check, and checked while in store. I mentioned that the site says they carry them... i was told the site is wrong.

Until someone actually orders a replacement rear axle from somewhere, i'm going to have a real hard time believing anyone at all carries them.
Oh, and iceman is 100% right.. look at that listing again. Another glaring problem is that it is listed with "OUTBOARD SPLINE COUNT" of 25. Can you tell me how a GGSX or GVR4 has an "outboard" spline count on a rear axle?

stealthtt24

I've about had it with this f***ing axle. I got the clip in today (thanks Terry!), installed it, and went to work. Thought it would slide in like the passenger side. Nope. It will not budge, it goes in just like the last picture I showed, then it will not go in anymore. It freely turns while in the rear end with no resistance (not moving the DS). I did the whole mini sledge-to wood- to axle. Nothing. I'm about over this f***ing car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How it looks and will not go any further...

IMAG0233.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Pop the rear diff cover off and see what's up.

Also, did you test fit the axle without the clip in place?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Terry Posten:
Pop the rear diff cover off and see what's up.

Also, did you test fit the axle without the clip in place?

^^^ good advice.

Might be a broken piece of an old clip or some such stuck in the groove in the diff,

stealthtt24

Makes sense, won't get around to this till next week but I will report back, thanks guys.

stealthtt24

Removed the diff cover, but I have NO idea what im looking at... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

Terry Posten

That is a 3 bolt diff. The brass ring on the right is for the PS pump.

stealthtt24

Figures as much. Well time to source a 4 bolt rear end locally. Thanks for your help, you guys are awesome.

Terry Posten

A few people have assembled a PS ring on a 4 bolt carrier but that is super rare.

Did you buy the diff as a set with the axles or what?

stealthtt24

I bought it years ago and it sat in my friends yard, so honestly I can't remember. What do I need to do to double check and make sure this isn't a 4 bolt.

Terry Posten

See if you can search google images for an internal picture of the LSD 4 bolt carrier. Compare.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned