The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need help on installing 4 bolts, SOLVED

stealthtt24

Ok here is my passenger side axle removed....

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

toybreaker

iconoclast
That's righty (passenger side) allright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you've got it figured out, Mark.

To get those silly little clips to seat, you have to get things just right and then persuade them a schosche.

I've had the best luck sliding the axle all the way in as far as it goes, and then holding it as level as possible and pushed in as far as it will go, I'll give the outer a c.v. a gentle but firm smack with a plastic faced dead blow hammer.

You can also hit a regular hammer against piece of wood help up against the outer c.v.,

...but a cheap and cheazy dead blow is only about $10 at harbour break, and it'll do this job well ...

Good luck!

stealthtt24

Forgot to mention that I did not buy these axles with the 4 bolt! I got them separate!

stealthtt24

Quoting toybreaker:
That's righty (passenger side) allright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you've got it figured out, Mark.

To get those silly little clips to seat, you have to get things just right and then persuade them a schosche.

I've had the best luck sliding the axle all the way in as far as it goes, and then holding it as level as possible and pushed in as far as it will go, I'll give the outer a c.v. a gentle but firm smack with a plastic faced dead blow hammer.

You can also hit a regular hammer against piece of wood help up against the outer c.v.,

...but a cheap and cheazy dead blow is only about $10 at harbour break, and it'll do this job well ...

Good luck!

Great... lol, what about a rubber mallet? Ive got tons of those laying around, I might have a plastic hammer, you want me to hit just the flat part at the end of the axle? I tried hitting the flat end of the axle on the driver side one with a rubber mallet and did nothing to help my cause /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Rubber mallets kinda work,

... but they "bounce" instead of transferring energy like a deadblow does ...

The loose shot inside the mallet head of a dead blow hammer transfers maximum energy and also dampens the bounce back. Combined with a plastic face, It's the right tool for the job.

I have used a rubber mallet for this task, but it usually turns into a three stooges episode, and resuslts in seious coinage hitting the swear jar, compared to just a single whack r two from a dead blow.

The main thing is to not bugger up the flange.

It has a raised ring that fits into the companian flange, and if that get's burred up, it'll be hard to get everything centered up and happy.

Terry Posten

Take a little emery cloth to the sealing face of the splines and then use a touch of lithium grease on them so they slide in.

stealthtt24

Good and bad news. I got the passenger side in here is a pic....

IMAG0003.jpg

Now bad news. My roommate grinded down the clip on the driver side a lil bit. It will not slide in anymore than I can get it and it won't go in with it being tapped. I'll get a pic of his dumbass work.

G

Staff member
Wth? You don't grind that clip, it's supposed to be a little larger than the spline /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif You have to remove it and install a new one. If that doesn't' work you may have to go buy a rebuilt unit and use this one as a core.

misterfixit

Quoting stealthtt24:
Covered in grease, but this is the area he shaved off....

IMAG0008.jpg

HAVE YOU TRIED PUTTING THAT IN THE CASE? Please say no as with that amount of swarf you are looking at pulling the back off the pumpkin and dropping the diff to clean any swarf out properly.

That my freind is scrap right there. The splines are foobared

Rich

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting stealthtt24:

IMAG0008.jpg

... damn ...

That thing looks like the business end of Steely Dan, fluffed up and ready to rock on the set of "robots gone wild"

Terry Posten

Spray some brake cleaner on that and get it clean and repost up a new pic.

I can't tell if that is grease in the grooves or scrap metal.

If the splines are clean and "grinder-free", I have broken axle stubs that I can pop a clip off of and mail you.

stealthtt24

I'm 99.999999999% sure what u are looking at is grease. I will clean it and take pics on Friday.

belize1334

Clean the hell out of it. Then remove the clip and see if the axle slides in easily. If it does, get a new clip and install. If not then inspect the splines for damage that would prevent them from mating with the differential.

stealthtt24

All cleaned up. Looks good to me, who could be a pal and send me a clip? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMAG0009.jpg

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting G:
Wth? You don't grind that clip, it's supposed to be a little larger than the spline /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif You have to remove it and install a new one. If that doesn't' work you may have to go buy a rebuilt unit and use this one as a core.

Where do you even FIND "rebuilt" rear axles?

mitsuturbo

Quoting stealthtt24:
All cleaned up. Looks good to me, who could be a pal and send me a clip? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A clip off a front axle should work. The spline area is the same diameter, i believe.

edit:
Oh, ALSO.. while banging away on the end of the axle, it's not entirely uncommon for the metal cap over the center to come out. Be careful.

I usually get the rear axles in by using the play in the CV boot/cup area and use the axle as sort of a slide hammer. Hold the cup with one hand, and slam the axle into the cup with the other. It's not a lot of force, as there's not a lot of play there, but it's enough to eventually get the axle in. Constantly turning it at a slow rate seems to help as well.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Ok, well where would be the best place to source that clip? I have front axles but obviously I am using them, don't have any spares.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned