The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help id'ing cams

BpuVR4

Doing valve cover gasket, finally got to see my cams. Any idea on what they are as is? Also anyone say if the springs are stock? Been probably 7 year since i last took a valve cover off one of these.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

didn't think it was, but don't mind being corrected. the cams don't have the big letters stamped on them that stockers have to my knowledge.

Coltsfan

Some of the early stock cams didn't have letters cast into them. If they're those they have more lift, but shorter duration, and are the same as N/a cams. People say they don't perform as well at higher RPM on turbo cars.

I just read all this stuff a couple days ago when I was trying to decide which set of stock cams to use. I have two sets of "smooth" cams that I compared, one from an auto turbo 1ga, and one set from a N/A manual 1ga.
That doesn't mean the can't be something else; a good place to check for engravings would be behind the cam sprockets.

check these links when tuners comes back on line:
click

click

Last edited:

BpuVR4

yea i looked at those threads as much as possible before they went down, searched like crazy for a clue. my car sounds like my last vr4 that had 272's, and was even told by the prev owner that it has them so this whole time that's what i assumed. i definitely hear the lumpy idle, and pull about 10" at idle, just under 20" during deceleration.

Coltsfan

The paint stripes make me think they aren't stock too.

BpuVR4

took a not so great video of her idling...i promise she sounds better in person

edit: new idling clip idling

Last edited:

Wookalar

The hks cams I've bought and seen personally over the years all had the size numbers engraved in cursive on the part where the wrench fits on. Not sure how other companies are.

Did you get that exhaust leak fixed?

BpuVR4

Mike that took a backseat to a couple other things, but still high on the list!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned