The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mystery button

Mr_Fielgood

Probably a real Newbie question but oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Im wondering what this button is that is located under the hood in front of the battery.
It has rubber covering a white button.
I've read a thread on here that it disables the alarm but I didn't even know these had alarms.
Don't want to press it until I know exactly what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

G

Staff member
I thought it was the vtec solenoid?

highrpm666

What happens coyotes? My security light comes on when I lock my car, but I have never tried to see if my alarm will "go off?"

What functions or features does the stock alarm system actually have? I have been curious about this for a while now.

VR6Eater

The horn on the driver's side firewall should go off also. I fit works like mine does it can go off randomly at anytime.

highrpm666

I just tried mine. Security light comes on like normal. Absolutely nothing happens when I pop the hood doors open from the inside. No lights or horn.

Sorry to the o/p for the thread hijack.

89Patches

I always wondered what the switch was for. Honestly thought it was for a warning light if left open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have had the alarm go off once in my car. Not even sure how my buddy did it. I have actually tried to get it to go off with no success /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

coyotes

pop the hood latch, but don't lift it fully. take your key out and lock the doors and close them. Then go and lift the hood up all the way. To my car, this makes the horn by the brake booster go off. No lights flash or anything though.

prove_it

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
The headlights will flash. At least, that's all my car ever did.

Ditto here. I took the switch out and never looked back. The alarm is high tech though, well at least in 1991. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

Quoting coyotes:
pop the hood latch, but don't lift it fully. take your key out and lock the doors and close them. Then go and lift the hood up all the way. To my car, this makes the horn by the brake booster go off. No lights flash or anything though.

You can also lock the car with the windows down and then reach in under the dash and pop the hood release.

I've made my alarm go off several times when accidentally locking it while closing the doors with the windows down. At that point if you reach in and pull up on the lock, the alarm will go off. Gotta unlock it with the key if that happens, lol.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Yup ^^^ Did this at a gas station when I first got the car. Quite the scene.

highrpm666

Just looked at mine again and found the button was unplugged. I hooked it up and still no alarm. Would the small relay behind the horn on the firewall have anything to do with it? Mines not plugged in. I'm guessing mines been disabled for a reason.

Edit: the relay I mentioned is the alarm horn relay. The alarm light relay is over by the battery. Thanks alldata.

Last edited:

Mr_Fielgood

LOL yeah I'm not going to f*ck with it.
Not trying to deal with the noise.
I just wanted to know exactly what it was.
Thanks guys
More noob questions coming soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ade

You have to geve the alarm a min or two on mine. If you lock up and open anything right away it wont go off. i tested all four doors and the bonnet which sets off the alarm. Not sure of the trunk. Both the lights and the horn should go off.

vr4g63

The stock alarm features frequent malfunctions and random erratic behaviour. It's function is to baffle, frustrate and annoy the F*** out of you, me and every other GVR-4 owner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Mine is about to get a pick-axe taken to it (figuratively, of course).

Quoting highrpm666:
What happens coyotes? My security light comes on when I lock my car, but I have never tried to see if my alarm will "go off?"

What functions or features does the stock alarm system actually have? I have been curious about this for a while now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

prove_it

Replace the door lock switches on the inner part of the front doors. As well as pull all four door switches and clean them up. These all get worn over 20+years and confuse the alarm ecu and will cause weird issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned